75 rear caliper rebuild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gc33

Reaction score
So I've begun the task of rebuilding brakes. Fronts are in pretty good nick. Rear not too bad either but with the rear unit split, there is a joint seal pictured below... Apparently it's unavail.
I checked with brake crafters as their kit was missing the seal. Their response is that they only use factory parts for those components and its no longer available.
So.... Substitution... Will a nitrile or viton Oring suffice.
Brake fluid as we know is a different beast...
Any input or ideas gents?

Attachments

• 20210427_114238.jpg
    20210427_114238.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 126
In the past when I had the caliber apart I refitted that seal shown. Not ideal I know but it wasn’t leaking from there before and it didn’t leak afterwards. I would be wary of fitting o rings that may not be brake fluid compatible

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222044#p222044:2wqhgfiq said:
Ian38091 » Yesterday- 22:56[/url]":2wqhgfiq]
In the past when I had the caliber apart I refitted that seal shown. Not ideal I know but it wasn’t leaking from there before and it didn’t leak afterwards. I would be wary of fitting o rings that may not be brake fluid compatible
Yes mate... That's my concern as well. I see randakks have them now... $10us each. Might add to shopping list from there.
Im kinda running the thought same as you. The rubber that came out isn't hard and brittle so I reckon be good to go back in.
I see you are around Auckland.... Do you see many 1200s?
When I lived in Christchurch they had a shipment come thru. I remember the pricing was like $14k...iwas only 18 and very nearly bought one... There are not many 12s here in Oz that I've seen come up for sale...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222060#p222060:18lp53vq said:
joedrum » Today- 3:58[/url]":18lp53vq]
I hate brake work ...
A necessary evil Joe...