New speakies!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Finally got tired of the crackling, buzzing right front speaker on the 1500, and broke down and got the Polk Audio DB501 set. Heard good things aboot them from other 1500 owners, so....we shall see. Might get a chance to install them this weekend. :music2:

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222464#p222464:2j3eubwk said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:44 pm[/url]":2j3eubwk]
"Marine Certified" right on the box! Man, the price went up 20% because of that. :smilie_happy:

Well...maybe...depends on which particular Marine certified them. These have a "Inspected by Gomer" tag on them.... :smilie_happy: :BigGrin: :hihihi:

Installed the new speakies today....what a pita.... :Awe: Anywho...they sound SOOOOOOO mooch bettah than the old ones. Now....I'm wishin I would have gone ahead and got new ones for the rear. Maybe later.

:music2: :music2: :music2:

Hiya O-Man!! :wave:
No trimming on these at all. In fact, I could have gone with a 5 1/2" I believe. I did have to snip the mounting holes on the speakers out, and make slots instead, but other than that, they fit with room to spare in the dash. Btw...I had already inserted some closed cell foam around the speakies the last time I had the dash apart....makes a difference. Haven't been for a ride yet, but I think I will be able to actually hear the radio now, instead of just having to guess what song was playin.... :yes:
The rear speakies is gunna be different, fer sher...The ones that are on it now are too thick, so the two housings do not fit back together properly. Never even noticed that until the other day..... :yes:

Well shit....one of the new speakies took a dump this mernin... :mad: Rattlin like a sonbeech. They sounded fine up until that moment. No warranty, since Polk doesn't even make this model speaky anymore. Went to Autozone down the street and bought some new Boss brand 5 1/4" tri-axials....prolly swap them out this weekend......dammit....💩

So...ripped into the 1500 today to swap the speakies out. UNfortunately, the new ones I bought are too friggin big to fit, without cutting the dash cover....don't wanna do that. Further investigation revealed the reason the Polk was rattling was the plastic ring that is glued to the speakie frame to hold the cone surround had come unglued.....it was the plastic that was rattling. If I held the ring down by hand, the rattle stopped. So, like any other southern engineer, I simply super-glued the plastic ring back down, all the way around. I also went ahead and super-glued the other speakie while I was there.
polk3a.jpg
polk2a.jpg
polk1a.jpg

Last edited: