The Way We Were - A Forum Retrospective

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going through my threads on this and other forums to save and print - like hard copies. It is quite an adventure. I have not finished, but I can say that I did not know much when I started. Had very good training acquired over the years to assist me in my motorcycle endeavour, and had a few good work habits.

First item on the agenda that I have continued is getting the OEM and aftermarket service manuals for the different bikes I have owned. Valuable resource(s) that without, too many questions are asked, and excessive time is spent trying to resolve issues.

Knowing what you are dealing with is another issue. Learned early on that an issue with the '85 Limited Edition and '86 SE-i fuel injected models can be considerably different than a similar issue with a carb model. Mechanically virtually the same, but once you get into the CFI system, all bets are off.

I've been reading my topics and the responses these have generated, and can say that the learning curve was very steep. The principles were always the same between the automotive and motorcycle world, but the nuances were considerably different.

The journey has had me look into and understand issues such as suspension and suspension setup, fuel injection systems, electronics such as what makes an electronic control unit (ECU) tick, what modifications can be made to enhance toe ride quality, performance and safety.

One major issue and this is that there just isn't any room on these motorcycles to do anything. A lot of the work is getting to the part/piece in question and replacing everything after the work is done. Honda was nice enough with the '85 Limited Edition fuel injected model to pack a Honda Civic into a two wheel platform. Newer technologies may require more real estate than is available. The newer series regulator/rectifier (RR) is larger than the OEM shunt RR and locating a suitable spot for it is a challenge.

Electrical work/wiring is a challenge. Started off joining wires and taping, then using all types of connectors and finally getting into the OEM style of connectors and doing solder and shrink tubing on wires. Accessory installation, accessory fuse blocks, relays.

The tools needed to service these older motorcycles is another world. Trying to stay away from tools sets and to be specific in the requirement. There are tools specific to a make and model. Do I go the make it yourself route, or just bite the bullet and buy the proper tool for the job. Budget, availability and what is my time worth comes into play in the decision process.

Read a lot of threads on conversions, rebuilds, retrofits, transformations, and was always amazed at what was being undertaken. At the start, always thought I would like to do this to my long term retirement project '85 Limited Edition. Fast forward some 6 years and I did get to do a significant renovation of my '85.

I am fascinated with the Goldwing, and its variants such as the Silverwing, CX500/CX650 turbo motorcycles. I collect literature and books on these, and am amazed what it took to get the Goldwing culture going. What it took to get the product to market, the design challenges - some quite humorous, why certain decisions were made and taken, makes one appreciate the Goldwing even more. A testament to this is the number of older Goldwings that are still used as daily rides, and touring motorcycles.

Not finished with my saving/printing of my threads and some others such as projects that have been done. It's a trip down memory lane that is quite enjoyable.

Cheers

Totally agree I've got mountains of projects I posted here ...many I just tried many had some basis to try something ....every once in awhile I look through them most no where as good as yours in spelling and such but priceless info to me and others ...in its day

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222563#p222563:2ws8qnac said:
joedrum » 20 minutes ago[/url]":2ws8qnac]
Totally agree I've got mountains of projects I posted here ...many I just tried many had some basis to try something ....every once in awhile I look through them most no where as good as yours in spelling and such but priceless info to me and others ...in its day

Not to worry Joe. It's reminisce of my early school years, being brow beaten by the school marm who had a better mustache then most men! :smilie_happy: Had this happen years later when I was on a Junior Officer's course. Had an English test first day of course, everyone failed - preordained, and for the first 6 weeks of the 6 month course, every morning 0730 to 0800, was practicing English grammar and writing.

Going through the threads/posts is reminding me of what I should finish and/or close out. I do anticipate continuing with the journey, having more projects and adventures before this chapter of my life is finished.

Cheers

I have many of my favorite threads bookmarked via the bookmark button at the bottom of each page and can go back and look through many subjects. Sometimes it is a great trip. Sometimes, with the Slug gone now, it is a bit painful. But it is always great to look back and see the work and follow the trips!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222605#p222605:3uwhp1eo said:
skiri251 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:11 am[/url]":3uwhp1eo]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222582#p222582:3uwhp1eo said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:30 am[/url]":3uwhp1eo]
with the Slug gone now

Does that mean you don't have a ride at all?
I don't. Back and knee issues that could cause permanent damage. Not taking that risk.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222607#p222607:z7vw7oc2 said:
mcgovern61 » 1 minute ago[/url]":z7vw7oc2]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222605#p222605:z7vw7oc2 said:
skiri251 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:11 am[/url]":z7vw7oc2]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222582#p222582:z7vw7oc2 said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:30 am[/url]":z7vw7oc2]
with the Slug gone now

I don't. Back and knee issues that could cause permanent damage. Not taking that risk.

This is one of the reasons I have a Can-Am Spyder in the garage to keep my '85 Limited Edition company. Still have good leg joints and the back is always a consideration. Lots of other things we do that can impact on our quality of life, don't need it to be a motorcycle with rider, pillion, and trailer to be one of them. It's like my father mentioned about retirement, do it sooner than later and you won't want to throttle the person that coined the phrase "golden years" and it wasn't David Bowie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRD0ghlFSgk

Getting back to the topic, reading what I wrote is quite nostalgic, and some of the early comments/posts regarding what I did or wanted to do, meant in the kindest way I think, needed a person to have broad shoulders and be thick skinned. Most of what I did was for learning purposes, to see if I could do the same, and to bring the '85 Limited Edition back to its former glory - still working on this aspect. My thoughts on maintenance/work were also to have the bike as a reliable daily rider, and to tour on far and wide. I knew that a lot of the work done would not have to be repeated - not to say I haven't done just this, and that having as reliable an older motorcycle as possible was key to having a good riding partner. Nothing like having an irked riding partner when you're a few miles from home.

I can see the day when these older vintage motorcycles are going to be found in a museum, collecting dust in a garage, or in the back forty waiting for whatever, and not be on the road. The expertise to keep these motorcycles operating and on the road is quickly becoming a premium.

Don't know what I am going to do with all the information I am amassing, but I will come up with something. Musings on buying, owning, and maintaining an older vintage motorcycle, Honda fuel injection and turbo history, rationalizing motorcycles - what is the best fit, what mods have been invented and shared, why do a specific maintenance issue a certain way, the don't cheap out way of doing maintenance/work. What are the accepted practice(s), and what is a good, better, best approach. Layman's guide to understanding charging systems - the three part alternator system versus a combined alternator, suspension and suspension setup, and a host of other thoughts. There's always topics that bring out the best in us such as installing a car tire, and how to do wiring to mention a couple.

Going to continue collecting information, try to collate it and determine what to do with it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222607#p222607:2mc8f83b said:
mcgovern61 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:36 am[/url]":2mc8f83b]

Sorry to hear that.
Yeah, I am almost 60 so my riding years are limited also.
Want to retire now and ride but this pandemic makes it really difficult to travel abroad.
Thanks to the new delta variant, it may take a few more years before traveling gets pre-pandemic.
I will lose my precious golden years. :fiddle:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222609#p222609:kysyl9af said:
Rednaxs60 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:25 am[/url]":kysyl9af]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222607#p222607:kysyl9af said:
mcgovern61 » 1 minute ago[/url]":kysyl9af]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222605#p222605:kysyl9af said:
skiri251 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:11 am[/url]":kysyl9af]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222582#p222582:kysyl9af said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:30 am[/url]":kysyl9af]
with the Slug gone now

This is one of the reasons I have a Can-Am Spyder in the garage to keep my '85 Limited Edition company. Still have good leg joints and the back is always a consideration. Lots of other things we do that can impact on our quality of life, don't need it to be a motorcycle with rider, pillion, and trailer to be one of them. It's like my father mentioned about retirement, do it sooner than later and you won't want to throttle the person that coined the phrase "golden years" and it wasn't David Bowie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRD0ghlFSgk

Getting back to the topic, reading what I wrote is quite nostalgic, and some of the early comments/posts regarding what I did or wanted to do, meant in the kindest way I think, needed a person to have broad shoulders and be thick skinned. Most of what I did was for learning purposes, to see if I could do the same, and to bring the '85 Limited Edition back to its former glory - still working on this aspect. My thoughts on maintenance/work were also to have the bike as a reliable daily rider, and to tour on far and wide. I knew that a lot of the work done would not have to be repeated - not to say I haven't done just this, and that having as reliable an older motorcycle as possible was key to having a good riding partner. Nothing like having an irked riding partner when you're a few miles from home.

I can see the day when these older vintage motorcycles are going to be found in a museum, collecting dust in a garage, or in the back forty waiting for whatever, and not be on the road. The expertise to keep these motorcycles operating and on the road is quickly becoming a premium.

Don't know what I am going to do with all the information I am amassing, but I will come up with something. Musings on buying, owning, and maintaining an older vintage motorcycle, Honda fuel injection and turbo history, rationalizing motorcycles - what is the best fit, what mods have been invented and shared, why do a specific maintenance issue a certain way, the don't cheap out way of doing maintenance/work. What are the accepted practice(s), and what is a good, better, best approach. Layman's guide to understanding charging systems - the three part alternator system versus a combined alternator, suspension and suspension setup, and a host of other thoughts. There's always topics that bring out the best in us such as installing a car tire, and how to do wiring to mention a couple.

Going to continue collecting information, try to collate it and determine what to do with it.

Yes, "reliable" is the key. The stuff I didn't have in my Oldwing.
Hopefully this 2014 NC700N will give me that. It's really quiet but quick. Hope my roofed conversion won't harm the reliability.

Internal combusion engine days are numbered.
When the boomer generation (I seem to be a part of it according to the latest definition) goes, no one cares about old gas-engined stuff enough to keep riding them with limited and expensive supply of gas.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222643#p222643:1ujjx5id said:
D-50Dave » Today, 2:43 am[/url]":1ujjx5id]
"...Going to continue collecting information, try to collate it and determine what to do with it."

Write a book?

This may be the way ahead. I can have my daughter and son-in-law vet this information and give suggestions. My daughter has wrote some short books, and is quite good at it. Have determined how I will use the information. Going to start with musings on owning, buying, maintaining an older, vintage motorcycle, then transition into some history, then into the various aspects of work/maintenance on the older GWs starting front to back. Going to limit the information to 1000/1100/1200 GWs. Going to give myself a year time frame to come up with a finished product. 68th birthday present.

As I go through the information, will have to contact the owner(s) of specific info and get permission to use.

Be a shame to lose this information to the sands of time so to speak.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222675#p222675:an179g0g said:
D-50Dave » Today, 1:45 am[/url]":an179g0g]
If you print it, I'll buy a copy.

Took a stab at an intro last night. Since I am strictly a layman and DIY wrencher, though about a title for such a book. Something like "The Art of Wrenching - The Goldwing Way". More to follow.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222675#p222675:3w2ts1mm said:
D-50Dave » Yesterday, 1:45 am[/url]":3w2ts1mm]
If you print it, I'll buy a copy.

Dave - have decided I have to do something with the material, and I have started with an intro and some 4 chapters of reflection. A lot of this information that I have been reworking was done several years ago when I first got into the Goldwing(s).

You mentioned an interest in what I am doing. Would you like to be a conscientious commenter for me? I will write and compile as best possible, then forward for your review and comment. Let me know. I could be out in left field for all I know. Would need email address so I can send an editable version for comments.

Intend to reach out to a few others as well.

Cheers

Taking a trip down memory lane. Like reading previous articles I have started and the comments from other members.

I have started a book, have 4-5 chapters done, need to revisit. My latest GW project is replacing the OEM ECU on my '85 FI model with a new aftermarket ECU. Have had it installed and the engine operating. I have been researching and collecting information on EFI systems to get a better handle on what goes into the design, how the various EFI aspects interrelate, and such. I have found that some of my early thoughts and conclusions were not quite spot on (nice way of saying I was mistaken). There are aspects of an EFI system that I know of but do not quite understand, I will continue to look into these aspects.

I started a brief document that builds on what I know, and have produced some articles, not all have been posted. I have started what I hope to be the final EFI document that was supposed to be a quick and dirty guide, but has morphed into a 50 page document as of this date. It will grow more because there is a lot of information to get into one document. There is a lot of good information out there. This latest document has had me focus on the differences between the OEM CFI system and modern day EFI systems.

Thought I'd mention this, and now, time to continue the journey.

Cheers

Your in depth research is something to be admired ...EFI ...AND MANUAL FUEL INJECTION ..are the factors of this tech ..on diesils the injector pumps are basically a fuel distributor on gas cars spark is provided that way ...TBI injection is 1/2 carb and 1/2 injection set up ..a very flawed system ...IMO..EFI injection at the ports is a separation of air and fuel till right at ports of head...each cylinder has its own fuel supply ..
In theory this is ultimate feeding of of fuel and air at its max ...using computer control to basically do what carbs do in atomization of fuel and air ...if computers are set up to cover all this it's hard to beat ...small block chevy motors can make twice the power over 60s carb muscle cars ...but this involves lots of parts that have to work together as a team ..this is no easy deal to accomplish especially on systems not supported anymore ...no doubt oldwings have been hard to get right ...for yrs this topic has had many try there best ...injectors themselves are quite the animal ..they can be very different though they are number the same ...there's no doubt the ultimate fuel ratio if achieved in all situations motor will out perform most anything ...I would love to see this come out on a oldwing I would say mpg could really be impressive on perfect set up ....

Thanks Joe. Have the EFI document well underway - some 65 pages or so to date. Waiting for the injectors to come back and the injector data with them. Watched a video last night on YouTube - Dr Jim Cowart - IC Engine and Transient Enrichments.

God info all round. Particularly about acceleration enrichment (AE).

Also went and saw Chapter 3 of Guardians of the Galaxy - cute flic. Tomorrow it's Dungeons and Dragons. Played this game back in the '70s, didn't know it still has a strong following today.

This EFI document I'm putting together is some 67 pages and growing. There is a lot of information to digest and more coming. Some is cursory, other more detailed, and then some very detailed, glossing over that which I do not feel is important at this time. The information I'm discussing is information I believe I need to know and some of it very well.

I am pushing past a point where I realize that the OEM CFI system ECU is a very well designed and programmed ECU, quite complex. It has a lot of functions/features that some modern ECUs do not. It's unfortunate that these ECUs are not being produced, and the user cannot access the programming easily, if at all.

Cheers

History of the CFI System. Don' think I posted this information before. It is from the Motorcycle Fuel Injection Handbook by Adam Wade. He discusses the different EFI system back in the 1980 to 1990 era. he saved the Honda CFI system for the last because of it was extremely unique and well ahead of its time. Too bad cost had to enter into the equation.

This is the information in a PDF file, enjoy the read.

Attachments

• History of the Hnda CFI system.pdf
    56.7 KB · Views: 0