04 dodge neon coils

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danf

Reaction score
I have a friend up in Canada, well, I have a few friends up there but this guy Todd sent me a set of coils to try out on my 81 interstate, I installed them with ease because he made a bracket that allowed me to just bolt it up like it was made for it, I installed it and started the bike, the tach. seems to go up alot faster now, I will not know it's performance until I take it out for a test run, I had just removed the swingarm to inspect my PG and such and to test my vacuum advance [custom made one] and everything is still operating as it should..Once I get the bike back together I will report back here with my findings and I will give you guy's a honest review on the performance of these coils.... :good: Oh there wasn't a flippen thing wrong with my other coils but I'm curious George..

Should be interesting. I've been sceptical about the claimed benefits of wiring the coils seperately but stronger coils might do something. Was the resistor in the 82-83 to protect the ignition modules?

I have a 81 and if the ignitors heat up too quickly or get all hot and such off it comes, there was nothing wrong with my coils before and this is an experiment.. But if the ignitors don't get hot then it will do just fine..But then again if I see no change in my performance off they come as well..

89-300ce":3kjggzvs said:
Should be interesting. I've been sceptical about the claimed benefits of wiring the coils seperately but stronger coils might do something. Was the resistor in the 82-83 to protect the ignition modules?
I do believe the resistor does protect the spark units as it seems mostly 80-81 without the resistor have the overheating spark units problem.

Well I have no way of knowing how hot these units are on a normal day without the added coils so I was told that if the unit's heat up right away I may have to use spark units in a 82-83 model, but when I started the bike the units slowly warmed up as the bike warmed up..So I don't really know what normal is,,,,I suppose I can remove these coils place back the others and see if they are any different...I'm afraid guy's...I don't wanta mess up anything..However I have gone this far so I may try it..

Ok, I am working on the bike when I get a call that I gotta go get my daughter from somewhere...crap.. I have the coils in....remember now the timing is spot on,,, So I get back and I 'm gonna start the bike and I do, oh man it made this aweful sound and sputtered really bad, like it jumped three teeth, oh my gosh man..after setting the timing and all it was perfect too. everything was perfect..Now is when I start cussing a little..and I'm getting grumpy.. I turned the idle screw up and nothing, I was pissed..I was confused....I was lost..I took a break but first I took of those stupid coils out because my thought is they jacked up something and Ginger was pissed about it..I took a break and put the original coils back on, same stuff..but this time I took off the timing covers and rechecked everything.. took a look at my cables...I had no idea what the problem was.. Until.... ok remember when I started writing this and I said I was working on the bike, I was taking the screws out of the intakes so I could put the chrome cover back on when I get interupted and I had to go..Forgot all about the stupid screws...That carb was sucking air bigtime, I blamed the coils and for the life of me I could not figure it out..I happened to have my hand near there when I felt air on my hand...Then I said oh sheet man..I put them back in and everything went back to normal, spot on again..It was like turning on the Christmas lights, What a stupid Plucker man....the neon coils are probably fine...I need to apologize to them for cussing them so much...It was me.. I'm such a dumbass man...I was thinking I blew a hole in my pistons or something...ha ha

so now I can test to see if the spark units heat up slowly the way the neon ones did...If they heat up at the same rate, I would say it's worth trying them out again, just another bump in the road..I get those alot..Wilcoy too..I'm a fan of his now..You go Wilcoy I'm rooten for ya sir..

littlebeaver":2994uv4z said:
What a stupid Plucker man....the neon coils are probably fine...I need to apologize to them for cussing them so much...It was me.. I'm such a dumbass man...I was thinking I blew a hole in my pistons or something...ha ha

Trying to make me feel better there, Beav? :smilie_happy: :doh: :smilie_happy:
Sure glad to know I ain't the only dummy around here! :yahoo:

Ok, I'm starting to understand the ballist resistor now I think :shock: :shock: [pretending], it's on the oem coils, I think these are put on to protect the ignitors from over heating..Joe help me... Should I just skip these neon coils or try them out? I saw nothing wrong with my oem one's the engine runs perfectly.. Should I not try to fix something that ain't broke..??? I almost failed first grade guy's I need your help here... At no point did the ignitors get so hot to touch while I was running it with the neon coil pack installed..I understood that they will get too hot to touch if there's a problem...Today I will run the engine and feel the ignitors and see how they act with the oem coils in ..If it acts the same as the neon ones, I'm gonna place the neon ones back in and try them on the road just to see if the operate the engine any better....Just because I can... :shock: :shock: :shock: Joe wish me luck.... :clapping: :clapping:

well my vote is beav the units are not replacable ... and a big gamble ....if its running good ....why beav ...exploring is great if theres a problem ....but this is jusr risk taking for no reason ...the 1100s are different its not like its going to be the answer for all anyway ...and will cause some to have big problems ....im still thinking the 83 is the only one that may work out on ....small group compared to the whole herd ...this is a deep indeaver to figure all the way through the years ...and a diferent setup for all yrs to have something .....seems the 1100s were a yr to yr change fest that all look the same ....i was floored when i look into all this and still am....

There has been a lot of threads about the neon coils over on ngwclub. I think mostly they've been tried on the gl1000. I haven't read anything lately, but they were looking promising as a replacement for the oem coils.

Latest posts