1100 air shock q's

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusterdude

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1949 panhead,1972 cb750,1980 gl1100,1985 gl1200,1998 cbr600f3 and 2003 vulcan 1600 classic
I bought a used set of shocks for a screaming deal.the issue I'm having is,they will not extend when I add air to them,currently they are on my shop bench.should they extend and/or retract on the bench and also,they will not compress when I put my 200 lbs on them either.any ideas before I take them apart?thanks

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

You don't say how much air you've tried to put in them, recommended is between 28 and 57 pounds.

But that's probably with them mounted on the bike, I would take it somewhat easier than that on the bench.

I say this because I've got this Harley that recommends only a maximum of 1 pound air pressure.

I've only ever aired them up on the bike but I don't ever remember them visually or physically reacting to air input or removal and, I can't get mine to move with my 200 pounds either with no air in them. That's the new ones or the old ones, that I know where good.

Also, you might want to look at other indicators of wear too before you decide they need taking apart, like the condition of the rubber bushes and gaiters.

The ones I just bought are in great shape, so I'm gonna assume they haven't done many miles and can't be all that bad on the inside.

I'm thinkin it was around 50 pounds,I may put em on the bike and see what they do

What you could do on the bench though is pressure test them, you'd need a gauge and a valve, but as there is no actual bladder, the air and oil parts are intrinsically linked, it might be a good way to check them out completely, about 20 pounds overnight ought to do it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216816#p216816:1nk792qd said:
Dusterdude » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:17 am[/url]":1nk792qd]
they will not extend when I add air to them,currently they are on my shop bench.

The shocks will NOT extend any more than they are if they are unloaded, as they are on the bench. The springs will extend them all the way to the stops with no load on them. No amount of air will make them go any farther out. Well...that's not true...you could put enough air in them to blow them apart, but I woudn't suggest that! :nea:

I hear ya,thanks for the update

Installed the shocks this morning,I sat on the bike and put air into them.they did not pump up.one question,does the lack of atf in them cause them not to pump up?

No. Pressurizing the shocks should force them to extend some, whether they have fluid or not. Just like a balloon....doesn't matter if it has water in it or not, adding air will cause it to expand. :yes: Sounds like they may be leaking.....
As a test, leave the bike on the side stand, with NO air in the shocks. then add a small amount of air(10psi or so). The bike should rise/lean as the air goes in if they are holding air.

Actually I'm using my compressor,so far I've been lucky

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216875#p216875:tkkkwbkb said:
Dusterdude » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:51 am[/url]":tkkkwbkb]
Actually I'm using my compressor,so far I've been lucky

Me too and I usually run 50psi in the rears :mischief:

I air both of mine(1100 & 1500) up using my compressor. Just quick bursts of air until I get it where I want. If it's too much, I bleed it back out.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216912#p216912:1jy0rdod said:
Dusterdude » 49 minutes ago[/url]":1jy0rdod]
Any idea why the leak?

I soaped the lines and no leaks. I guess it has to be internal leak.

Latest posts