1100 engine to gl1000 frame

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derrick woods

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Gl1000
I've a 1100 engine I want to put on a 1000 frame got a donor bike and a donor gl1000 frame recently got a set of 1000 heads and cams what all do I need to get this 1100 engine on the frame please be specific I'm gonna use a Dana ignition and the 1000 cams

Basically you have to take out rear ignition so it don't hit the frame ..the ignition slide out and is held on by a pin ...don't loose that in the motor back cover very easy to do ...depending on year of motor the bike with 80-81 motor will be very low geared 82 yr is taller geared 83 is the tallest geared ..I did a bike like this ...it was called the angry dresser it was very fast bike ...but I did it on a 1100 bike so I used the rear ignition but used the cams out of a early 1000 75-77 ..the most aggressive cam ...it was quite the bike ...it beat 1000 oldwings with ease and it was a full dresser 83yr...also had 75 carb rack...but spent some time with Weber progressive linkage 2barrle and was as fast or faster ....with 1000 pumpkin it will be like drag bike gearing ..shouldn't be hard to put together...good luck

Basically you have to take out rear ignition so it don't hit the frame ..the ignition slide out and is held on by a pin ...don't loose that in the motor back cover very easy to do ...depending on year of motor the bike with 80-81 motor will be very low geared 82 yr is taller geared 83 is the tallest geared ..I did a bike like this ...it was called the angry dresser it was very fast bike ...but I did it on a 1100 bike so I used the rear ignition but used the cams out of a early 1000 75-77 ..the most aggressive cam ...it was quite the bike ...it beat 1000 oldwings with ease and it was a full dresser 83yr...also had 75 carb rack...but spent some time with Weber progressive linkage 2barrle and was as fast or faster ....with 1000 pumpkin it will be like drag bike gearing ..shouldn't be hard to put together...good luck will the valve covers interchange with the 1100 heads or do I need to put the 1000 heads on it to use the 1000 valve covers? Reason I ask is I absolutely hate the 1100 valve covers I think their a bit ugly

Basically you have to take out rear ignition so it don't hit the frame ..the ignition slide out and is held on by a pin ...don't loose that in the motor back cover very easy to do ...depending on year of motor the bike with 80-81 motor will be very low geared 82 yr is taller geared 83 is the tallest geared ..I did a bike like this ...it was called the angry dresser it was very fast bike ...but I did it on a 1100 bike so I used the rear ignition but used the cams out of a early 1000 75-77 ..the most aggressive cam ...it was quite the bike ...it beat 1000 oldwings with ease and it was a full dresser 83yr...also had 75 carb rack...but spent some time with Weber progressive linkage 2barrle and was as fast or faster ....with 1000 pumpkin it will be like drag bike gearing ..shouldn't be hard to put together...good luck
Do I need to change the 1100 heads to the 1000 heads for the 1000 valve covers to fit cause I hate the 1100 valve covers I have a set of complete 76 heads

You don't hAVE to but you would have to mod the 1000 points cover lip to fit 1100 heads ..the valve covers will interchange ..the one part of the 1100 heads that better than 1000 heads is the cam carrier it has a better oil feed slot than 1000 cam carrier ...personally I like to change that as it seems to more than not tighten thing up a bit and runs smoother ...basically you got parts use the best have ...although changing the cam on a 1100 that running nice and needs no head gaskets is rather simple in time ..IWOULDNT break into a perfectly good running motor to change heads I would modify points cover and put in the 371 1000 cams ..best way to tell what cams you have is the 371 cams have no number on them ...the 78-79 cams are actually milder than 1100 cams ...I think there number is 434 and is one the cams ....hope you have the 371 cams...sounds like a great mod ...

You don't hAVE to but you would have to mod the 1000 points cover lip to fit 1100 heads ..the valve covers will interchange ..the one part of the 1100 heads that better than 1000 heads is the cam carrier it has a better oil feed slot than 1000 cam carrier ...personally I like to change that as it seems to more than not tighten thing up a bit and runs smoother ...basically you got parts use the best have ...although changing the cam on a 1100 that running nice and needs no head gaskets is rather simple in time ..IWOULDNT break into a perfectly good running motor to change heads I would modify points cover and put in the 371 1000 cams ..best way to tell what cams you have is the 371 cams have no number on them ...the 78-79 cams are actually milder than 1100 cams ...I think there number is 434 and is one the cams ....hope you have the 371 cams...sounds like a great mod ...
What about timing marks are they the same?

Timing marks for cams is the same ....just be sure once you get timing set you rotate motor to a free no valve spring pressure spot and adjust belts to about 1/4" deflection total only both sides ...belts must be tensioner correctly to get it timing the best it can be

Ahh gee now your ask me something I can't remember your talking crank marks ..I remember they are different and use the T marks not F marks ..funny why they did this differently on 1000s 1100s and 1200s