1100 Goldwing with VW Carburator

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I purchased a 1982 GL-1100 with 15500 miles in great shape except for the carbs. Made a manifold using the proper VW #34 carb. runs OK but bogs down under load (on the road). Changed main jet from 125 to 120 not much difference. Went to 115 and it helped. What is the main jet size for the 1100 or 1200 CC VW?
Spark is not great but starts right off.
Tubes from carb (4) are 1 7/16 ID and any help would be appreciated. I am 84 years old, but I don't have a lot of time. Thanks Gene

(words from my son who is helping me with this post) When I drove the bike, seems fine if you go easy on the throttle. If you get on it at all, it goes flat. (engine rpm's die) I am thinking maybe it's a vacuum issue?

Welcome to Classics! What size idle jet are you using and where is the acceleration pump set at? I have a 130 on mine, but it is attached to a 1200 GW. You might be going the wrong way, and there is a fine balance that you need to keep looking for with the 34 Pict 3 carb.

84 yrs young that's great ...not enough throttle huh...how does it idle ...usually the idle circuit are way big on car carbs and they dont want to idle below 1500 rpm ..then as the bike does so much more rpm than car motors they can lean out some ....personally i dont use the vw carb and dont have much time in one ...i use a weber carb 2 bbl that progressive ..there are others here with more hands on experience ...ive learn that the 34 pict carb is an epa and has an enrichening device on it....and it could be going rich at high rpm ...the enrichening deal is not adjustable .....it is in the form of a brass tube sticking into the throat of the carb .....its obvious the carb will work on the bike as its running ..try to get your son to post some pictures of the set up ...so we can see things better ...im sure we can get it going ...mine runs great ...but i had some modto do to get it that way ...more than just jetting ...

Latest posts