1200 starter

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went down in the garage to start and run a bit both the GL1500 and GL1200. It had bin a few weeks and the 1500 started right up. The 1200 on the other hand gave me problems. The starter would engage for a turn or two then slip and spin free. It took about a dozen tries to get it to fire up and run. But kept slipping every time until the engine caught and started. I let it run a while to warm up and charge the battery while I took the 1500 out for a short ride. When I shut down the 1200 I had to leave. Never tried to restart it so I don't know if it was too cold or sat too long that caused the problem. Or maybe there's an issue now with the starter. I'm going to try it tomorrow and see what happens. I'll post an update afterwards. In the meanwhile, anybody run into this issue?

I'd say it's not the starter, it's working as it should. The starter clutch would be my take on this issue. Have replaced the starter clutch parts and mine still does what yours is doing. The spring that Honda uses is not that robust. I've read where people have used pen springs in place of the OEM part. Very little oil gets to the backside of the rotor where these parts are located, but these parts do not require a lot of oil to operate properly.

OK Went and started the 1200 today. No starter issues. Cranked the motor over several times and started right up. Guess with the cold and sitting for a while that's what caused the problem.