1975 GL1000, Original and unrestored, excellent condition

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas67

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1975 GL1000
1976 CB400F
1967 CB77
1968 CL175 (2x)
1974 Ducati 750GT
1970 Ducati Mk3D 450
1966 Ducati Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport/Strada
1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1977 Moto Guzzi Le Mans 850
1973 BMW R75/5
1975 BMW R75/5
Many others....
Purchased by me from the original owner on August, 2022.
It has 58k miles, and has been very well cared for. It has recently had new cam belts, all new fluids and a tune up.

It is all original, unrestored, and I intend on keeping it that way.
The baffles are not currently installed, but, I do have them. It runs and sounds great w/o them, but, is not obnoxious.

The biggest flaw is four small screw holes in the "tank" cover where the PO had a CB rack mounted. It has four small (#8 or #10) screws with nuts to fill the wholes.

Very nice! Not 100% original but very near.

Yes, true, brake lines, shocks are both non-original, but, the important stuff is there, all original bodywork with original paint, original frame paint, engine unmodified, original exhaust, etc.

Careful use of ABS plumbing cement will patch the holes. Then the joy of matching the paint. Try RSBikePaint.com in England.They have touch-up quantities.

Yeah, matching paint is the problem.
I've been watching for tank covers with original paint, but, all I find are dented up, faded or both.

So, I just live with it.

I fail to see how ABS plumbing cement would be of any help. Why would I not just use normal body filler with some fiberglass mesh on the back side?

ABS cement is great for the plastic bits. I know GL 78 and early 80s. Not sure if any of 75 tank is plastic. ABS and mesh melds into one very strong bond. I even back filled steel plates in my Califia trunk to mount arm rests. Added strength without putting stress at the plate edges against the trunk plastic. Arm rests were so solid I had to do the same with trunk mounting bolt floor area. You could lift yourself off the seat while riding. Many old Vetter saddle bag and fairing repairs. It’ll stop a crack dead in its track.

Or you could just use a piece of red duct tape!!!

ABS cement is great for the plastic bits. I know GL 78 and early 80s. Not sure if any of 75 tank is plastic. ABS and mesh melds into one very strong bond. I even back filled steel plates in my Califia trunk to mount arm rests. Added strength without putting stress at the plate edges against the trunk plastic. Arm rests were so solid I had to do the same with trunk mounting bolt floor area. You could lift yourself off the seat while riding. Many old Vetter saddle bag and fairing repairs. It’ll stop a crack dead in its track.

Or you could just use a piece of red duct tape!!!

The '75 GL tank covers are metal.

Latest posts