• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1977 Goldwing GL1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgspec

Reaction score

I am selling my 1977 Gold Wing GL1000. I bought the motorcycle with the hope of restoring it. When I bought the bike I was told it needed coils, however after replacing the coils and ignition wires I still am unable to get the bike to run. I have come to the conclusion that I am in over my head. I know cars of that era, not motorcycles.
The motorcycle is complete, though I have taken the seat and fairing off to work on the coils. I have the original side bags, sissy bar, seat, original front rim and tire and front fender. I have many extras, another fairing, gas tank cover, oil tank covers, seat, brake parts, and much more.

$800.00 obo.

The bike is located in Nevada Missouri, about 100 miles of KC. Delivery is available for a price. Please ask all pertinent questions prior to purchase. I do not do PayPal, certified checks or money orders only. If interested we can work out all details of purchase and delivery.

Jeff

Good luck. You might include the ages of the tires and belts. A shot of the inside of the tank might help, as well as a shot of the serial number plate. BTW fairings, bags, and sissy bars were never original on these. They came "naked" from the factory. If including them it is good to specify if you have the original headlight and ears as well as turn signals, tail lights, and grab bar. If you want to get it running, you might post some questions and requests for help in the technical sections. Honestly, you will have a wait quite a while to get over ~$500 for a non-runner unless it is all there and has fairly new rubber. It being a non-runner, I would guess the tires are over a decade old and the tank will need de-rusting. Don't get me wrong - it could be a great bike. I had a '77 that was fine. You might find its value much higher in learning it than in selling it. And if you know cars, it is a fairly simple automotive-type engine. Points and condensers, carbs. Just has to be made right. There are manuals online to guide.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211108#p211108:10sqozvx said:
dan filipi » Yesterday, 5:55 pm[/url]":10sqozvx]
Jeff, try uploading the attachments again.

I tried and it did the same thing.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211113#p211113:2r6pmeng said:
pidjones » Yesterday, 7:08 pm[/url]":2r6pmeng]
Good luck. You might include the ages of the tires and belts. A shot of the inside of the tank might help, as well as a shot of the serial number plate. BTW fairings, bags, and sissy bars were never original on these. They came "naked" from the factory. If including them it is good to specify if you have the original headlight and ears as well as turn signals, tail lights, and grab bar. If you want to get it running, you might post some questions and requests for help in the technical sections. Honestly, you will have a wait quite a while to get over ~$500 for a non-runner unless it is all there and has fairly new rubber. It being a non-runner, I would guess the tires are over a decade old and the tank will need de-rusting. Don't get me wrong - it could be a great bike. I had a '77 that was fine. You might find its value much higher in learning it than in selling it. And if you know cars, it is a fairly simple automotive-type engine. Points and condensers, carbs. Just has to be made right. There are manuals online to guide.

Thank you for your input. I believe I have the parts you reference. I just feel like I am over my head with the bike. I really like the bike and would like to keep it, however, right now I am just throwing parts at it. Throwing parts at anything, hoping that you will fix the problem is not the way to go. If anyone knows anyone that can get the bike running, I can do the rest of the work to get it going. Again, Thanks for you input.

Jeff

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211138#p211138:ukml30ea said:
Morgspec » Today, 8:57 am[/url]":ukml30ea]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211108#p211108:ukml30ea said:
dan filipi » Yesterday, 5:55 pm[/url]":ukml30ea]
Jeff, try uploading the attachments again.

I tried and it did the same thing.
There are no attachments included in your post, so none can show. Email them to me if you like, then I will post them for you.
[email protected]

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211139#p211139:2dmiaxel said:
Morgspec » Yesterday, 12:05 pm[/url]":2dmiaxel]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211113#p211113:2dmiaxel said:
pidjones » Yesterday, 7:08 pm[/url]":2dmiaxel]

Thank you for your input. I believe I have the parts you reference. I just feel like I am over my head with the bike. I really like the bike and would like to keep it, however, right now I am just throwing parts at it. Throwing parts at anything, hoping that you will fix the problem is not the way to go. If anyone knows anyone that can get the bike running, I can do the rest of the work to get it going. Again, Thanks for you input.

Jeff

Would help to know where you are, so as to advise...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211175#p211175:yi36xbdk said:
julimike54 » Today, 12:25 pm[/url]":yi36xbdk]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211139#p211139:yi36xbdk said:
Morgspec » Yesterday, 12:05 pm[/url]":yi36xbdk]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211113#p211113:yi36xbdk said:
pidjones » Yesterday, 7:08 pm[/url]":yi36xbdk]

Jeff

Would help to know where you are, so as to advise...

Nevada Missouri, 100 miles of Kansas City and 60 miles north of Joplin

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211208#p211208:5uj1geyq said:
julimike54 » 41 minutes ago[/url]":5uj1geyq]
Being in Nevada, MO you probably don't want to trailer it to Argyle, TX to be repaired :blush:

Well, I have a son that lives in Austin and Argyle is on the way there, could be a possible to bring it that way when I come and visit him nest.

Jeff

Well, I have a son that lives in Austin and Argyle is on the way there, could be a possible to bring it that way when I come and visit him nest.Jeff

Actually, that'd be a great way to handle it.

So, here's my general process for everything spark-ignition/internal combustion:

I pull the dipstick, check oil level, and coolant levels. I pull the plugs, make sure the engine turns, then a simple compression test. If they're all fairly close, and over 100psi, it's good enough to continue to next step...

clean the plugs, connect 'em to the wires, lay the plugs on the block. Wait 'till after sundown, leave the driveway and shop lights off, and crank the engine. Look at each plug, make sure you have spark.

Install plugs, make sure wires are going to correct cylinder.

Remove airbox cover and filter, suck out any debris with shop-vac. Spray something flammable into the airbox, and crank it over. Does it start? if so, add fuel, open the fuel shutoff, and open up each fuel bowl drain screw for a few seconds, 'till there's good clean flow of fuel coming out, then close it... close the choke, and see if it'll start on it's own. If not, a shot of flammables into the airbox to light it up, and see if it'll keep running on it's own.

Each of these steps proves out one or more things' functionality. A failure at any one point is a clue to why it won't run. If you follow this process, and report back, we can give you a pretty good idea of how serious the situation is... how easy, how difficult, how cheap or expensive it could be. It might not be out of your grasp, and by doing it, you'll learn a precious skillset for the future....

Latest posts