1982 GL1100 Interstate tachometer cable

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

56michael

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Vetter Package
1982 GL 1100 Interstate
2016 Harley Davidson Fat Boy S
Hello all, I just got my 82 Interstate running for the first time this morning. It had been sitting for about 6 years. I bought it from a friend of mine for $300, 46,000 miles. He had told me there was a issue with the tach cable making noise when I bought it.
Took the carbs off and took them completely apart and cleaned them, idle jets much easier to get out than on my 81. New gaskets, diaphragms, O-rings and all of the other goodies in the kits. Set the floats to the proper height And did a bench sync. New gas, fuel filter and spark plugs. Pulled out the choke and after a few cranks it fired right up and ran very nice. The tach cable started to make a high pitched singing noise right away and the tach itself was bouncing all over the place. After it warmed up when I would give it a little throttle the dial would bounce all over the place. Is this just the tachometer cable?

Bouncing tach usually means the bearing is dry inside the tach. It could also mean the cable is not fully inserted into the tach (someone may have removed it and not fully seated the cable before tightening.)

Latest posts