1983 Exhaust problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny42

Reaction score
I was going to work on removing the loose chrome and rust, then painting. Once I got the pipe off, rust was the least of my problems.

The photos show the pipe has rusted out in one spot and the packing material for the baffle is right there, exposed! The other photo is the rust on the other side.

I want to retain this original pipe if possible. I have these thoughts......

1) remove the loose chrome, use a rust converter on the rust and wrap some sort of metal around the entire section and secure with stainless steel clamps. I think there's enough steel at either end of the final section of pipe to allow clamps. I'm hoping this will hold until I can no longer able to ride.

2) remove the loose chrome, use a rust converter on the rust and apply a layer of JB Weld (Hi-Heat) then paint. I'm not overly concerned with appearance.

Looking for advice or suggestions on a remedy where I get to keep these pipes.

Attachments

• IMG_3126.JPG
    IMG_3126.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_3127.JPG
    IMG_3127.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 211
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214526#p214526:2xsajps0 said:
desertrefugee » Yesterday- 23:09[/url]":2xsajps0]
Welcome to the site. Those are pretty far gone. Not how (or why) you'd want to keep them.

There are a number of options if you're interested in doing just a little work.

Here's the entire pipe. The rest of it is solid. Just need to clean it up a bit.

I've got all winter and I'm retired. I could use a project. How much work are we talking?

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

From the pictures it looks like just the tips. Could you not cut off the flange at the tip and slide a stainless or chrome tube over the pipes. I don't think you can weld anything on there, to much rust.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214544#p214544:2iqyyzv4 said:
flash2002 » 58 minutes ago[/url]":2iqyyzv4]
From the pictures it looks like just the tips. Could you not cut off the flange at the tip and slide a stainless or chrome tube over the pipes. I don't think you can weld anything on there, to much rust.
I like that idea. I'm willing to hear more ideas.

I agree that cutting off the existing tip and welding on a new one would fix the cosmetics. But it might decrease the sound-deadening oof the set. Looks like the header-muffler joint has already been welded up. I'd weigh the desire to keep the sound level the same vs appearance. Wrapping (maybe even the titanium tape that the younger crowd are wrapping their pipes with) should keep the sound level the same.

With the exhaust tip rusted through like that and in your pictures it appears there is rust on the underside of the mufflers, I believe the inner baffles are most likely rusted away also. I just repaired my 1100 exhaust. I ended up with holes underneath the mounting bracket. I used exhaust repair epoxy and which came with a stainless mesh. It worked nicely and the bike sounds great again. But I realize that my exhaust system is rusting from the inside out and it will need to be replaced in the future.

You can often find a very good condition 1100 exhaust system on Ebay!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214557#p214557:2bqnka0u said:
pidjones » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:03 am[/url]":2bqnka0u]
I agree that cutting off the existing tip and welding on a new one would fix the cosmetics. But it might decrease the sound-deadening oof the set. Looks like the header-muffler joint has already been welded up. I'd weigh the desire to keep the sound level the same vs appearance. Wrapping (maybe even the titanium tape that the younger crowd are wrapping their pipes with) should keep the sound level the same.
I wasn't saying to cut off the tip but to grind or cut off the lip at the end of the pipe so he can slide a tube over it and maybe weld it on or glue it.

Yes slip on pipes seem to be the solution to me ...welding brings in all kind of side issues ...not a great stress point ...slip on some nice pipe after cuttin lip off as suggested and attach best way possible cosmetically ...job done ..I agree with Flash..

My experience has been that the corrosion goes from inside, through the parent metal, to the plating, and the chrome (being non-ferrous, right?) doesn't rust... but it has no strength. Unfortunately, that means there's no steel left inside to really work with.

At this point, if it were me, I would look for aftermarket options, and if non suitable exist, I would attempt to save the headers and crossover pipe system, and make some other mufflers take it's place.

How it looks and sounds are important to anyone, but having to stop riding during a perfectly good summer to re-fix a problem, is not what I consider pleasant. Having it look 'not original' isn't high on the prioriity list of a 'rider', and I'm betting by the circumstance the pictures shows, you aren't keeping this as a museum piece... so do what you have to do, and call it 'custom'. Fishtails, slash, turn down, turn out... straight pipes...

The one other option, which is clearly not going to be a magnificent resolution, is to get some thin stainless sheet, and find a piece of pipe a little smaller than the OD of your muffler... use it as a form to wrap the sheet around... make a full wrap, springy enough so that you can slip it over the existing muffler (to extend to the tip), and slip that over the existing mess, then use a stainless hose clamp around the muffler area, with the clamp on the low-back side (so it's not visible) and call it done... it'll obscure what's rotted away...

You guys are giving me lots to think about. I appreciate it. Here's where I am right now....

I've been reading about using a Sportster exhaust on the Wing. Seems like the noise might be a factor. Plus most of the posts show them on naked wings where the saddlebags aren't an issue. Also, I'd say more than 80% of the posters have and know how to weld. I don't.

Next, I'll research using other HD mufflers like the Road Glide??, etc.

Most of the posts don't explain how they attach the rear portion of the muffler to the frame. They just say they make a bracket or weld something.

I'll keep looking and I do appreciate the suggestions.

I did install Harley mufflers on a 1000, no welding to do they just clamped on. I think they came off a sportster, they might sit low enough for the bags. I did like the sound, a low rubble almost like stock.

Attachments

• 100_1454.jpg
    100_1454.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 101

Latest posts