1983 Honda GoldWing (GL1100-Interstate) with only 76,000 miles on it...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothy1027

Reaction score
In July 2011, I purchased a 1983 Honda GoldWing (GL1100-Interstate) with only 76,000 miles on it, from a retired millwright near Baltimore, MD. He was a "junk collector" type of guy who was "cleaning up" his back yard. He had let the bike sit outside for several years, supposedly with a cover, but the bike still needed extensive work. After I got the bike back to my shop I realized why this guy loaded it onto my trailer using a bobcat. The bike would not even roll because, both wheels were locked up (from rusted brakes) AND the engine was locked up! I spent several hours cleaning the bike (...used a pressure washer), installed a new (AGM) battery and to my surprise all the lights worked, but I only got a "click" from the starter. The seller had told me that the bike was "running" when he parked it (years ago). I tried to turn the engine over with a wrench on the crankshaft, still no dice. I then pulled the cylinder heads and found that the #4 piston was rusted to its' cylinder. For some reason only that cylinder was affected by rust. There was no rust in any of the other cylinders! Over the next several DAYS, I had to use a lot of elbow grease, a sledge hammer, gallons of WD-40 & even an oxyacetylene torch, but I eventually got the crankshaft to spin freely. I was really NOT in the mood to pull the engine out of this BIG BEAST! I found insect & rodent nests in many of the crevices in the bike. They really LOVED the air filter housing! The fuel tank had some really NASTY black, gooey stuff in it. I got some instructions from Randakk on how to clean it. I had to unclog the fuel lines inside the tank. I used .062" diameter piano wire and aerosol brake cleaner to clean out the clogged flexible brake lines. I've made 3 special tools so far. 2 for cleaning out the bore of each brake master cylinder (front & rear). A modified ½" drive 30mm socket for removing the lock nut on the left-side of the swing arm. I think the OEM tool costs like $65.00. I paid $7.00 for materials. I will publish dimensioned drawings of the tools if desired by members (I once worked as a tool designer). I lapped the valves for the heads. They are otherwise usable. I plan on doing a carb rebuild in the near future (BIG JOB). My only constraint is cash these days. I have 52 digital pics of the restoration job so far. I have found MANY good resources on the Web! I expect this bike to run like a "Swiss Watch" when I'm through with it! :)
To be continued...
Tim Barber
12/17/11
Barber's Workshop

Sounds like a great project. The one cylinder must have had the valves open to rust up like that. Do post up your pictures and get us up to speed. Especially on the tools.

I didn't take pics of the #4 cylinder. There was a small pile of rusty looking-brown crap next to the piston crown. The bottom of the cyl wall was pitted. I smolthed it out with emery cloth. It was wierd looking, for the INSIDE of an engine! Like an animal built a nest or something.
54Greybeard":29jb7rzh said:
What does the #4 cylinder look like? Have any pictures

Following is a pic of the cylinder heads (combustion chamber-side) before & after cleaning. I used various cleaning methods including: wire brushes, gasket scrapers, aerosol carb cleaner, brake cleaner, gasket remover, razor blades, pressure washer & 150 psi of compressed air.

Attachments

• GL1100HeadsChamberSideBandAcleaningSM4.jpg
    GL1100HeadsChamberSideBandAcleaningSM4.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 368
Hi, I've just started recommissioning a '81 Interstate myself. Your info about making the tool to remove the swing arm locknut was very helpful, Thx. You also mentioned making a tool to clean the front & rear brake master cylinders; what does that tool look like? I finally managed to get both brake master cyls and all three calipers apart and need to clean up the brake master cyl bores. I can buy a .5" dia honing brush to do the job, but half the fun of this project is trying to come up with a cheaper DIY tool to accomplish the same thing. Thx

Welcome from Oz. Good luck with your brake honing. I am not sure of the tool you are referring to, but you can attach Emory tape to a rod and use that in a drill as a poor mans cleaning tool. It cannot keep the bore even like a hone but it will clean it up nicely

Latest posts