1985 GL1200 Limited ECU Replacement/Upgrade

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Joe. You've got hooch, I've got my LTD FI, we're both buggers for punishment.

Reading another book on the GW - history from 1975 to 1995. A lot of time spent on the 1000, but all good info. Will start another thread on the book. Good info to pass on.

Cheers

Slow slogging learning the intricacies of an ECU upgrade/replacement. I focus on an a specific item that I do not know about, or know much about. Have been focusing on "Flood Clear level". This is applicable to both the Speeduino and Megasquirt family with the difference being in how each handles the issue. I have read up on both and it is different.

Don't know if the CFI system installed on my '85 LTD FI model GW has this or not.

For the Speeduino, my ECU upgrade/replacement, a percentage is used in TunerStudio engine constraints under Cranking Settings.

For those reading and not familiar with this flooding concept for a FI system, FI systems can flood same as a carb model. How it is taken care of is what is different.

The Flood Clear Level is a programmed event based on engine cranking RPM and percentage of throttle opening using the TPS as the indicator for throttle opening. Should you flood an FI engine, with the engine RPM below the cranking RPM threshold as specified in the engine tune, and the throttle open at least 80% (this percentage can be adjusted to suit your installation and engine), the ECU shuts off the injectors allowing you to crank the engine for a bit to clear out excess fuel. After a few cranks, you might notice the engine trying to start. Keep cranking till it does. Once it starts, there will likely be a big cloud of smoke and a lot of fumes.

Have been pondering the number in the Speeduino manual section 4.14.2 of 80%. As mentioned above, 80% seems to be an auto industry standard. The explanation in the manual is: "Flood Clear level - Flood clear is used to assist in removing excess fuel that has entered the cylinder/s. Whilst flood clear is active, all fuel and ignition events will be stopped and the engine can be cranked for a few seconds without risk of starting or further flooding. To trigger flood clear, the RPM must be below the above Cranking RPM setting and the TPS [highlight=yellow]percentage[/highlight] (added description) must be above the threshold of this setting."

Found another reference: https://www.gmtuners.com/tech/modes.htm

This site has more information that I will review as I progress; however, it gives a good description as well and gives more clarification to the Flood Clear Level just a bit more in that the throttle has to be open more than 80% (number used in the Speeduino Manual and to be determined by each individual tune) and the RPM below the cranking threshold.

I can now peruse the other Cranking Settings and clarify these for myself.

For the cranking RPM looking at removing the spark plug boots and turning the engine over for a cranking RPM. Will see how it goes.

There are a couple of Cranking Settings criterion that will not be applicable such as the Cranking Bypass and Bypass Output Pin.

Have looked at Voltage Correction as well. The principle and how it operates is understood. The write up in the manual is quite clear so this is another topic I can put to bed so to speak. There is a good explanation at the gmtuners site as well.

As an aside, have ordered a logic analyzer and the clips, $12.00 CDN delivered. Don't know how applicable this will be to my project, but for the price and what can be achieved may be worth the cost.

Cheers

Having my brother send me my father's tach-dwell meter to get the dwell numbers. Had to do a little more research and you are not able to convert the degrees BTDC into dwell time.

Also need to determine spark plug burn time. Going to get a Secondary Ignition Capacitive Auto Pickup Probe for the small oscilloscope to get this info.

So much to do. Learning a lot about this CFI system and the intricacies of changing out an OEM product.

Cheers

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210005#p210005:2ap54kwr said:
pidjones » Today, 2:44 am[/url]":2ap54kwr]
One step at a time, get stalled on one and go to another. Such is motorcycle work - computerized or not. And, always needing more tools!

Thanks. Received the ECU. Will look into the fault.

I have taken a break from researching/digging into the requirements of the Speeduino project and put together some musings regarding my journey so far, not that it has been that long. My musings are another way I use to keep myself focused on what I am doing. I have attached the document, it's in MS word: View attachment Speeduino Project - Musings.doc
It's info only, but I thought I'd share.

I have completed Speeduino Project - Musings - Part 2. I have compared what is existing to where I want to end up with the Speeduino project. I'm certain it is not complete, but I feel much better about having done this. For those of you who have read the first part as a cure for insomnia, hopefully this part will not be as painful.

I find that by reading literature/documentation, correlating it into some form of understanding, then putting my understanding back into print is a good way to learn about what I am doing. Served me well throughout school and during my Naval trades training.

Enough pontificating, here is the file in PDF: View attachment Speeduino Project - Musings - Part 2.pdf

Cheers

Still waiting on the Speeduino out of Israel, it will get here. Ordered and received a logic analyzer, rather a small unit, but looking forward to using it and see what it gives me. Picked up a small tach-dwell meter yesterday with a timing light included for $25.00. It has a 6 and 8 cylinder button on the unit, but for four cylinder engines you apparently double the 8 cylinder reading. Playing with this will have to wait until after we get back from our motorcycle trip to the Yukon/Alaska, leaving this coming Monday, 24 June - giving ourselves 4 weeks. Will be getting my father's tach-dwell meter when I visit Mom at Xmas, good old Snap-On unit. - good to have a comparable if you can.

Working on Part 3 of my musings, be on the pinout comparison and what I have gleaned off the various threads regarding pin selection. Part 4 will be on acronyms. Keeping track of these as I progress.

More to follow. Cheers

Resurrecting an older thread. It's time to get on with this project.

Have been reviewing notes, forum threads, Speeduino information. Have the bones for the replacement ECU, Speeduino board and such.

Time has a good way of clearing/focusing a person's thoughts. I realize from my renewed reading, that I am just replacing an older ECU with a newer one. This does, or should not, require any wiring or component changes. There will be some reduction in the components used such as the cam sensors - have two, only one required. A new trigger wheel, thinking 16/24 tooth, no need for the missing tooth aspect because of the cam sensor.

I do lose a bit of functionality. The OEM ECU diagnostic program, as well as the dash indicator light.

The cam sensors, Gr/Gl, were Honda's answer to sequential injection and faster starts. My reading indicates that the benefit of sequential injection instead of batch firing is not that much. The Speeduino can use either.

The Speeduino does not need to use a cam sensor, but that would require a missing tooth trigger wheel.

I have updated my pin-out spreadsheet. Have the 95% solution regarding this.

Need to get the components out, get Tuner Studio and such back on line, and read the Speeduino info again. Have not been on the Speeduino forum for some time.

Cheers