1985 GL1200 Limited Edition Carcass

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a new thread regarding the '85 Limited Edition carcass that I bought this past spring. I have some posts on my other thread regarding my '85 Limited Edition - Getting to the Road.

Bought the carcass so I would have additional spare parts such as an ECU, wiring harness and various other items. One of these items is the engine. Should the engine go on my '85, getting another is cost prohibitive.

The carcass was a sight to behold:
IMG_1491.JPG
IMG_1492.JPG
IMG_1495.JPG
The swing arm and rear tire are from an 1100 just to get it on/off the trailer.

Took it into my brother's garage when I got to his place and started to strip the bike. Have a good ECU, cruise control module, handle bar switches - bit faded, but the faces are in very good condition, complete wiring harness, CFI sensors, injectors and much more:
Engine.jpg
Tried to turn the engine over but it would not. Took the cylinder heads off - intended to anyway, and found a build up of crud in number 4 cylinder that was preventing the engine from turning over. Once the heads were removed the engine turned over just fine.

Had to take the engine apart for transport back home to Victoria. This also allows me to place certain parts in areas of the car depending on weight of the item. The engine is in good condition considering it has been sitting a while. Crank and con rod bearings are in very good condition as are the pistons. Overall engine condition is good and rebuilding the engine in the fullness of time. Have been making a list to determine what will be required to do the engine rebuild.

Would have liked to keep the frame, had an ownership with it, but no where to keep it.

In the process of cleaning parts/pieces for transport.

Thinking I will do the cylinder hone, and lap the cylinder head valves - barring this it will be off to the machine shop. Need new valve stem seals, piston rings, a few oil seals, and should be good to go.

Will update as I progress.

Took the forks apart. Bushings in very good condition. Need seals, dust covers and one "C" clip:
Forks.jpg
Had one bolt in the head that would not come out. Broke off at surface. Will be doing an easy out when I get home:
Head 1.jpg
Time to wipe everything down and package for transport.

Got home last night, 4000 Kms in less than 4 days, marathon driving, but beat the snow. Now to take stock of what I brought home from the carcass. Expect there will be some good used parts for the offering. Have to figure out the issue with number 2 cylinder on my 1200, and get the literary juices flowing for the article I'm putting together. Would like to get back at the ECU replacement that I started a while back.

Starting to look at the parts and pieces I have accumulated. Going to make a list of items such as side mirrors, front brake rotors, - have a good set on my '85 shouldn't need a second set, and such. When it is done will be putting on the forum for takers. If no takers, it will be to the recycle.

Was collecting the parts to start a 1200 standard build, several years ago.
Seeing as how scarce, & expensive they were.
Knowing the front end fits the 1100 frame, as well as the motor, & swing arm.
Had a set of wheels, complete brake set up, both front & rear.
Along with the hydraulic clutch, essentially what i really needed.
Was an 1100 bike frame, with a valid title. to start the build.
Found two nice 1100's, free for the taking, BUT both without titles.
Then i acquired a complete 84 standard, for $900, about 200 miles away.
Trailered it home, getting it roadworthy, with the rebuilt limited front end.
Rebuilt the clutch system, new water pump , timing belts, tires, wheel bearings, the works.
Along with a new seat & backrest, cost more than the purchase.
No room to build an 84 now, but i have plenty of spare parts.

Latest posts