1987 Aspencade OE driving lights?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldCrow

Reaction score
My Bike Models
GL1200A, R100RT, KL650
Hello everybody,

My 1987 has driving lights. I believe these were optional back in the day. There is no reference to them in the Owners Manual, OE shop manual, OE Electrical troubleshooting manual or the Haynes manual.
PLEASE HELP!

How are these lights switched on/off? Where should they get power? I have two rocker switches on the left panel (that would normally be used for CB controls), but these both look like owner installed as the quality isn't up to normal Honda standards.

I would like to substitute in LEDs for what I believe are H4 lights in there now. They appear to be splayed out a bit so would light up the road sides which would help ID those pesky critters. In mid September we are planning to cross the souther deserts so we also plan a lot of night riding to avoid the heat :)

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN3540.jpg
    DSCN3540.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 162
Cornering Lights, so you can see the ditch at the ends of driveways and un-lined rural streets at night while making tight turns. Which is why they are angled out, and also no separate switch, as the will light on the side that is signalling with the signal switch.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211577#p211577:3l4exwjs said:
julimike54 » 56 minutes ago[/url]":3l4exwjs]
Maybe check what this guy did?

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopi ... 12&t=42524

Also, if memory serves right, I think those come on with the turn signals.

Very nice writeup and great upgrade. Unfortunately time is getting short and I'm just going to swap in some LED H3(from the write up they are H3 not H4).

I'm headed down now to check out the possible turn signal aspect.
:thanks:

Well I searched through all my manuals and no joy on the turn signal connection. But that does make perfect sense.Thanks for that insight!!

I suppose just finding(there has got to be one) or adding a power relay triggered on the turn signal would get that function going again, but I think I'll just add separate switches(water proofed) for manual control of left/right on/off.

Thanks

I have a 1986 SEi fuse/relay panel that I rewired for my 1100. The two lower relays are for the cornering lights (normally open relays). They trigger when the turn signals came on.

I repurposed the relays for my 1100 and used one to operate the headlight so the headlight only comes on when the bike starts. (added another oil pressure switch to trigger the relay.)

Although upside down, you can read the top two relays in this picture that say "CORN LAMP"

image.php

Wouldn't be too hard to set those up to always turn on either if the turn signal is on, or the high beam is on.

Haven't tested it, but I suspect something a dual relay for each light would work. Something like this. In that case, wire both red wires to 12V, both black wires go to the light. Then both blue wires to ground, one yellow wire to high beam, the other yellow wire to one side of the turn signals (before the turn signal relay).

Repeat for the other side.

only the LTD and SEi had the cornering lights. some aspencade owners put LTD or SEi panels on so they could have the lights. I started to add them to my 1200 aspencade before I gave it to my niece

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211586#p211586:103n23pw said:
mcgovern61 » 2019-07-31- 10:17[/url]":103n23pw]
I have a 1986 SEi fuse/relay panel that I rewired for my 1100. The two lower relays are for the cornering lights (normally open relays). They trigger when the turn signals came on.

I repurposed the relays for my 1100 and used one to operate the headlight so the headlight only comes on when the bike starts. (added another oil pressure switch to trigger the relay.)

Although upside down, you can read the top two relays in this picture that say "CORN LAMP"

image.php

My fuse box does not have those relays. Honda must have dreamed up a different method in 1987.
Thanks

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211616#p211616:2g4ok4tx said:
detdrbuzzard » 2019-08-01- 6:43[/url]":2g4ok4tx]
only the LTD and SEi had the cornering lights. some aspencade owners put LTD or SEi panels on so they could have the lights. I started to add them to my 1200 aspencade before I gave it to my niece

From my research, I believe that Honda adopted some technologies that were introduced on the SEi and LTD to the 1987 Aspencade, e.g. electronic Cruise Control which is present on my 1987.

Also the Brochure for the 1987 Goldwing touts "New Body Lowers" and shows a picture of the lower fairing with provisions for cornering lights but not installed. But oddly cornering lights are not listed in the "Optional Hondaline Equipment:" list.

When I had the bike apart for the timing belts I wish I'd hunted for any snipped wires in the neighborhood, but I was too many higher priority things keeping my attention.

Hi Crow!

Thank you for the nice illustrated writeup on these, and all who included dialogue on the cornering-lights features. My '84 obviously predated the integrated driving lights, so I've mounted LED driving lights in same general area by welding tabs to the front of the engine case guards, and installing a marine pull-switch in the left fairing where the factory stereo/intercom knobs USED to be.

I don't know about the other models, but my opinion is that additional lighting is really necessary for the '84, because it's factory headlamp pattern leaves a terrible 'hole' between high and low beam... when on low beam, it's not high enough, and when on high beam, it's too high... the best performance comes with BOTH high and low filaments burning, but the electricals are probably not up to doing that for long. I'm still running the conventional original (well, whatever the previous owner had) for lamp. Eventually, I'll change it, but since the pattern is all about reflector and lens, it probably won't help anything aside from reduced load current and increased pain in oncoming drivers' eyes.

The pattern of my driving lights has substantial forward illumination, but the periphery has ample flood, so they provide very good cornering illumination... If I went with actual 'cornering' lights, I would probably mount them somewhere on the forward outboard side of the saddlebags, both to illuminate a corner, and also provide wash so I can see that patch of oil I'm setting my foot in on a dark night... but I haven't found the 'perfect' light for it yet. I also need to improve the switching for the driving lights, so that dimming for oncoming traffic isn't a multi-step process...

I have two sets of driving lights on my '85 LTD. The cornering lights are kept as is. The one set is a 10 degree spot for forward illumination, and the second set is a 20 to 30 degree spot angled out and down for the shoulder and closer in areas.

That sounds like an excellent idea...

Here's how I mounted my driving lights...

Attachments

• 20190809_062502.jpg
    20190809_062502.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 20190809_062506.jpg
    20190809_062506.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 95

Latest posts