1987 Interstate questions

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRepoGuy

Reaction score
My shop manual doesn’t show a supplemental for the 1987 so I thought I’d drop in here for a second. The fuel pump is my issue with this bike. Given the minuscule changes from year to year it’s pretty well confused me.

The relay for it in theory sits in the same place as the 85, next to the flasher (I think) on the top by the TCI box and I have different colored wires than what the 85 shows (black with brown tracer, White with what looked to be a blue tracer and a solid green)

By the 85 schematic, the White should have power and in theory the green should be a ground.

The pump works when hooked directly to the battery and pumped up the carbs enough to fire it over but it obviously didn’t stay running because it’s not getting a signal.

Pulse generators ohm’d out within spec so I’m pretty sure they’re good and the PO of this bike straight wired them in but it’s done correctly.

I’ve got GREAT spark so I’m good there...definitely getting it to turn over but only stays running for a couple seconds again because the pump isn’t engaging.

I can’t find anything showing what the relay should test out at so if anyone has that info I’d appreciate it; outside of that - what else in the fuel circuit would cause the pump to not engage and continue to operate with the bike starting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

desertrefugee":27bt6u8h said:
If the bank sensor has been triggered, that kills power to the fuel pump relay.
That’s the one clear down in the forks ‘eh?

This bike got a new fuel relay and now the carbs will be rebuilt. Starts when choked out but won’t otherwise

Latest posts