1995 GL1500 SE 20th Anniversary Canadian Edition

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a lot done on the 1500, going to focus on the 1200 to get it back on the road. Most of my thoughts on teh 1500 is what to install and where. Would like to keep the changes to a minimum.

The new fuse block I'm going to install has been occupying my thoughts. Not a lot of real estate and where to put it. I've settled on a Velcro setup. Will Velcro the fuse block to the side of the battery behind the right battery cover. I've read where Velcro is being used to attach lights, cameras and such so this should be a good work around. Will leave sufficient slack in the wiring connected to the fuse block so that if the battery has to come out it can be moved out of the way. Here's a picture of the initial install:
Fuse Block Install.jpg
Don't expect the fuse block to ever move as it has the cover up against it.

The "Unobtanium" panel will have a voltmeter/USB combo unit, an outdoor temp gauge in Celsius, and a heated clothing connection. May also put in a couple of switches for the driving lights. Don't know if I will install a switch to manually activate the rad fans.

Cheers

I'd also suggest replacing the dogbone fuse and holder with an in-line 30 Amp blade type that you can find at any auto parts store. It will take up less room, also.

Parts came in from Cyclemax today. Making a list of electrical wire and connectors needed to install the new fuse block, voltmeter/USB items, fuse holder and HO alternator. Things are progressing.

Waiting for exhaust parts for the 1200 so I tackled some work on the 1500. Changed out the OEM alternator and upgraded to a 90 amp HO alternator:
HO Alternator.jpg
It is a bit larger , but fits quite well. Installed new dampers as well.

Fitted the new fuse block, maxi fuse holder and power bus bar:
New fuse block and rewire install.jpg
Used 8 GA wire for all power. Found a splice that goes somewhere, it is an OEM splice. Have to research and locate this. It is from the alternator output and goes forward on the bike. using a Blue Sea maxi fuse holder with a 50 amp fuse.

Will be connecting the new fuse block tomorrow to the system. Going to connect the battery tender through the fuse block. This fuse block lets you configure each circuit to be switched or not, good feature.

The starter relay connector is a bit worse for wear:
Starter Relay Connector.jpg
Will be fixing this.

Plan is to pick up the 1200 exhaust parts tomorrow, the finish the wiring on the 1500.

Cheers

Have finished the wiring and install of the new fuse block and , fitted for but not with. I will be installing a USB/voltmeter combo unit, USB connection for the passenger area, outside temp gauge, heated clothing outlet, and 2 light switches. When I install the trailer hitch will be installing LED lighting on it - just for visual.

I have installed the inexpensive dash cam unit - $60.00 CDN 1080P dual camera unit. The cameras are installed using the tape that came with the cameras. Trialed unit yesterday and cameras never moved, should be good for the long term. Instructions are sketchy at best, had to switch the camera inputs to get the front/rear cameras correct. This unit is supposed to handle up to a 64 GB SD card, but only goes to 32 GB. Picture quality is actually quite good, road vibration does not impact on the video footage. The video quality is not such that you can read small print such as licence plates. Not a big issue, think it's quality of the camera, definitely not the Innovv K2 units. Since this camera is for the just in case accident, the video quality will be quite sufficient. Here is a PDF of the unit: View attachment 2.7_ Dual Lens Motorcycle Dash Cam 1080P DVR G-sensor Driving Recorder Camera _ eBay.pdf Apologize for the PDF file size.

Once I get the 1200 on the road again, will be prepping this bike for the summer travels.

Cheers

Getting at some long overdue maintenance. New tires installed, Michelin Commander on the front and Austone taxi tire for rear. Local shop installed the rear tire, not an issue for them. Going to finish up the additional wiring for the USB and a few other items. New u-joint boot installed. Not a lot but keeps me busy.

Cheers