300 lbs 400 CCs and 1,000 miles. What could go wrong.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tory

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not one of my better idea's
Last weekend I made my annual trip to the AMA Vintage motorcycle days at MID OHIO SPORTSCAR COMPLEX.

I do this every year with a few of my VINTAGE RICE friends.We stay at a friends house just outside columbus (New Albany to be exact),make a long weekend out of it,do some bumming around and spend a day or two at the track.

With all the bikes in my posesion I decided to ride my CB400F Super Sport this year.Although I am not a little guy,and this is not a big bike,I felt like this bike would be more enjoyable at this particular event.I will admit there where times I wish I had my wing,this is not a comfortable bike for distance.

For the most part everything went well.It did rain most of the way down (And I did not have room for adequite raingear) and I did need to make a trip the the IRON PONY for a chain.(Which they cut short requiring a second trip,but you can never spend to much time at the pony)and blew a main fuse on the way home which was a quick roadside repair.We also had a 750F with a stuck float and had to replace a battery on the way home in a GS850 these where minor set backs considering all these bikes are over 30 plus years old.

Once at the event it all became clear on my poor choice.This is a great bike that gets alot of attention,and it was very at home on the track .
They gave an opportunity to run our bikes on the track and this little firecracker loved it.Once passed the uneasy riders and into some open track I was able to really open her up and had a ball.At that moment there where no regrets an any decision to take this little bike.

All and all it was a great trip.The bike ran great and buzzed happily along at 6,000-6500 RPMs.We road a total of just over 1,000 miles mostly on all backroads.And I have a new adventure for my future grandkids to hear.

As for my backside,well,it will heal in time. :moped:

Attachments

• MID OHIO 2012 040.JPG
    MID OHIO 2012 040.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 181
  • MID OHIO 2012 010.JPG
    MID OHIO 2012 010.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 181
  • MID OHIO 2012 007.JPG
    MID OHIO 2012 007.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 179
  • MID OHIO 2012 005.JPG
    MID OHIO 2012 005.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 181
Thanks Joe
I really am impressed with how great of bike this little guy turned out to be.Considering the mess it started as.
It is such a hi strung machine though.You need to keep it above 5000 to make any power.I think it thinks its a two stroke.

my first NEW bike was a 1973 350/4 Honda .... which was the fore runner of your bike ... the last year or two it became a 400/4 ..... mine always run like a new one.....but,........they was kinda small .

Yeah its a little small sledge.
And yes brian it is built off of the cb350four,but honda hopped it up a bit with some boring,porting ,camming,a sixth gear as well as the 4 into 1 header.A first for an OE manufacturer to offer a 4 into 1.See what they started.
They also produced it with low bars and set the pegs back,which makes it a cool little hot rod,but does not help the comfort thing.
This really is one of my all time favorite motorcycles built.

Here is a PIC just before I got my turn around the track.See me smilling? :grin:

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 136
Yeah I hate to admit it....but I remember when the 400 / four came out ..... and you better watch that smile on your face, you look Guilty of something ........... :smilie_happy:

Latest posts