3D Printers

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking that the next evolution in keeping these oldwings on the road is having a 3D printer. Have seen several thread(s)/post(s) where the person has used a 3D printer to make a part. Did some research on line and there appears to be a good number that are highly rated under the $1K CDN cost. Maybe an option in the future. Thoughts?

Interesting thread since I know nothing about them or what they're capable of. They sure seem to get referred to a lot.
What is the final piece made of, plastic, a composite? How strong is it?

These use rolls of plastic type wire, much like a tog welder. 3D pieces are made of successive layers of molten plastic. This process is called fused filament fabrication (FFF), also called fused deposited modelling (FDM) - trademark term by Stratasys Inc - something like every snowmobile is a skidoo.

Good write up here: https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-3d-printers

There are some very good under $1K CDN 3D printers. The build area size is important depending on what you want to do. Nozzle size, single or multiple filament roles for different colours, build area heaters - what is the heat range. The most common filament used is ABS and polylactic acid (PLA). ABS emits fumes when melted, needs a heated print bed, and is more flexible than PLA. PLA is reported to have a smoother finish when done but is more brittle.

Resolution is common in the 200 and 100 micron range. Something like a camera I would think, more microns - better finish.

There's lots to consider, but with the price point coming down, may be a good tool for the workshop. I would think that with schools getting into 3D printing, parents are going to have to pony up and get a 3d printer.

I think as we go forward with this technology, that the strength of the part/piece being produced will be such that it can be used in place of some of the older metal and OEM plastic pieces. Internal engine pieces such as the primary chain tensioner and such.

Imagination, time, and money is all that is required. No more home improvement projects allowed, no time for these! :music:

Cheers

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221455#p221455:e7zb8sj3 said:
joedrum » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:11 pm[/url]":e7zb8sj3]
In the end it's plastic ...be great if they could do metal this way
Ah, but they can! Parts of SpaceX Raptor rocket engine are 3D printed, and I believe most of Rocket Lab's Electron engines are.

100 to 200 microns is the same as 0.004" to 0.008".

3D printers using plastic thread do what they do well. Every machine, every process has limitations and hazards, and with a 3d printer, the hazards (depending on what setup) include fumes, UV and low-power (but still dangerous) laser emissions.

The current major weakness of inexpensive 3 printers- the choice of materials... because of the thermal nature of how it has to fuse, the end product isn't going to tolerate high temperatures well, nor will it have a polycarbonate-level of strength... or high UV resistance. Basically, your part is limited to the material's limitations. This WILL obviously change a bit with time, but the fusion process really is the determining factor of material.

That being said, it's not the end product of the 3D print that is the end-of-the-story. Sure, we can print out a replacement part for some plastic thing that cracked and failed... and what we 3d print might not last a quarter of the time of that original part... but:

The 3d printed aspect means that we can make PATTERNS for other processes... like molds for pouring metals. The finish quality isn't as nice as a hand-made wood pattern set built by a veteran craftsman of the 30's through 60's, but plastic is easy to clean up by hand.

I got a buddy who's been experimenting with 3d printing parts, then burying them in sand, and using it like 'lost foam' casting. He hasn't gotten it quite right yet, but he's still tryin'. Most successful so far was a 3d model of a large timing gear... about 6" diameter, 2" thick... and burying it in greensand... with a sprue and vent molded in. When you pour aluminum in, the plastic melts, but it doesn't 'come out' of the mold fast enough to accept metal, it cools the metal too fast, and leaves big gas bubble voids where it burns. So his tactic changed a little... he's been trying to use weaker material, and extremely thin (think totally hollow) printed patterns, then BAKING the mold at just high enough temperature to melt the plastic out as he's pouring aluminum.

One of these days, there'll be one in MY shop, but what I'm seriously thinking of doing (once my new building is up, and the big CNC gantry is operational) is fit a wire feeder to the Z2 axis, and go with really SMALL wire, high-speed feed, and set the voltage/current level so that a MIG nozzle becomes the same as the plastic squirter, and see if I can 3D print a part using ER70S. If it works, I might just make some sort of a 'canopy' that I can flood with CO2, and use a cooled nozzle with the gantry to print direct to steel.

Davekamp, One of these days, there'll be one in MY shop, but what I'm seriously thinking of doing (once my new building is up, and the big CNC gantry is operational) is fit a wire feeder to the Z2 axis, and go with really SMALL wire, high-speed feed, and set the voltage/current level so that a MIG nozzle becomes the same as the plastic squirter, and see if I can 3D print a part using ER70S. If it works, I might just make some sort of a 'canopy' that I can flood with CO2, and use a cooled nozzle with the gantry to print direct to steel.

We used to do something similar to that called it spray-arc-transfer you'll need to used a gas mix of 98% CO2 10% argon and 2% Oxygen.

Latest posts