75 carbs need severe cleaning for 1200 monster bike

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
well just got in the 75 carbs here some pics to completely stuck carbs everywhere
image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

what a mess but there going to be just fine if i can get through them ...what a job it appears no one has tried

I have the same comfy slippers :eek:k:

Wow, your description on the phone didn't do them justice how bad they actually are.
I hope they can be saved. Especially the rust on that slider looks pretty bad from here.

there all cleaned up now and looking good now ...that was the easy part....well bill its always a gamble these carbs lokk good outside cause that all anybody did ...once open all things stop ...and put on the shelf ....

Were you able to bring those carb's back to life? They look like several racks 75 76&77 that I traded to cycle recyle last summer for other used parts for my gl1100. I didn't think they were any good just for parts in them. cycle recycle on east 10th st in Indy sells vicon o-rings by the pc for the old honda's I keep some sizes on hand most of the time. price is right instead of carb kit's. You can buy on line saves a lot of gas.

if i can keep from breaking anything they will be fine ...so i like the info about the o rings thanks jpwinger.....im just getting started on this rack they just came today ...its going to be a challenge

sidewinder is right they are salvageable ...the rough part will be all the floats are stuck to the pins and towers as about as bad as can be salavageable....that the real deal here ...as sidewinder said it will be patience that fixes this rack .....

this is all going to be part of 1200 valkery type build in that im going to put the biggest carbs ...with hottest cams in the biggest motor. ....im thinking if it comes out as good as my 1100 builds have

:yes: had a rather good day inspecting the carbs ...slides are done and up to par ....took one bowl off was able to take a mix of deisil and atf and an artist brush and do inside art work my favorite ....coating pin flosts jets bodody passages everything ...eventualy got jets loose float loose float needle working again inside bowl very good start so far ....pack in after that put everything back together ...going to play music this evening with a good feeling about what ive done ... :beer: :mrgreen:

been working all morning on carbs ...had another good day ....on e the causalty list are two floats that have holes in the m and one puck that was not enven there ...you could see where they were operating that way ...some things are hard to understand ....
all the butterfly shafts were stuck big time had to isolate each one to be able to soak and worh the shafts free ...that was quite the job ...all four are up to par now and operating fine
also did up the mix screws and passages soaked real good and also slow air jets things are really starting to look up ....
still lots to do but going well

after working outside awhile ...im inside now working on clearing the secondary jets all four were cloged i cleaned them all with wire brusch strand locked in vise grips it didnt take to long ...now for the idle jets ...need to find my special screw driver ....they have been hit with the home carb mix for several days im hoping they come right out

heres the update on the rough 75 carb rack take down .....so far bad parts are four floats they were pitted like it was done with a jackhammer....one idle jet is still in carb body three are out ...this is last big hurdle im not sure its coming out ...the floats were so trashed and stuck i just cut them off and the pins cut into too...no reason to chance towers trying to knock pins out ...this way i sould be able to get pins out ...dealing with just one tower at a time ....here some pics of trashed floats and cut pins ....
image.php

image.php

image.php

so i was able to get the float pins out of the towers ...even with all the soaking all the cutting to get to wear i was dealing with just one tower it was still very hard ....so on the down side still is one idle jet that wont come loose and one idle jet that wont come out of the tower yet ....plus two of the float valve seats still wont come out ...the other two the screens were good and clean ...so im getting close but im sure the idle jet that hasnt budge is going to be a problem a big problem ....not sure what to do here :headscratch:
image.php

image.php

Lube the one you can't get out good and screw it back down lightly seated. Get a finishing nail and super glue the end of a piece of sandpaper to it.chuck it in a drill and buff the inside of the jet towers. That should smooth them enough to get the jets out. Stuck jet I'm not sure. Maybe fill the tower with your oil mix and carefully heat the tower base?

the casting are so close to not useable im almost afraid to try and heat it and cool it fast ...just not sure yet ...the darn thing snap a harden screwdriver point ..ijust cant beleave how hard it stuck ...so im just thinking now on next move ...cant beleave im one jet from done and cant get it the floats were huge to get out successful

some times it is best to just best to slow down and sleep on it and something will come to you. good luck I"m sure you'll get it . Is it possable to clean it in place and just work around it. It has been to long since I have worked on 75 carbs I don't remember . maybe boill that carb and use your special mix and alot of air

yes im thinking quiite hard now ...been looking for right micro bit or bits wish i had one on hand ....snaping the screwdriver really shocked me it could be so stuck to do that ...must have weaken or cracked over the duration of how long i tried i guess ...
ive been going very slow on this rack for sure i dont want to loose it...

I just hooked up with a guy who customizes 250-450 cc 70's bikes into cafe racers.
We talked for awhile about all the carb problems he runs into, most get trashed from sitting outside wet.
I liked what he said how he mixes carbs and parts and rejets them.
Seemed very knowledgeable and has found many sources for parts.
He even commented about fixes he's made to broken posts and such.
I think he could be a good resource for us so I'll see if we can get him on the forum.

Latest posts