78 gl Ignition switch

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowdy

Reaction score
I have a 78 gl1000 . I keep it tuned up myself and do all work on her . my question is , will the ignition switch let it start right up and run BAD ,and more I try to fix it ,turning switch on and off about 50 times checking points and things and now it will crank but not start. I hope it's the switch because I have one in my 79 gl 1000 parts bike . HELP . I have not done any thing to bike before this problem begin . I took her out the day before , and it was idling low and sometimes die . Maybe someone else has had the same problem .

Check power at all the fuses, could be one blew.

Do you see little sparks at the points as they're opening and closing?
If so ignition is getting power.

Check those first then we can go the next step but do put the battery on a charger.

Yes indeedy be sure the battery is at full charge and start from there. Pull the fuses and ohm through them. Be sure the fuse holders are clean and tight. Check the main fuse.

hmmmm could be something else but good spark is good to look at after that gas...is tank clean looking inside ...most oldwings suffer from weak spark and all sould be brought up to par ....wires caps coils

Run bad??? not really now cutting out and shutting off would possibly be a switch issue... but recheck the connections at the coils.. battery charge.. and clean up the ground(s) connection.. like where it is grounded to the frame... typically once the bike is started it runs off the stator voltage and trickles the battery.. trying to start the bike that many times is a battery charge if not the battery killer.. also fiddle with kill switch... it may be flakey and needs contacts burnished... ie spray cleaned with electronics cleaner or moved around too many times..

Thanks for Help. I keep battery charged all year. Saturday I put new wires and main fuse link on and checked volts to ignition switch it was 12 volts, with ( switch out of plug) I plugged in ignition switch and turned on switch and checked to points wires it was sometimes zero , 5 , 8 sometimes 12 volts . Do I need to check kill switch.???

im thinking the voltage gose to the switch first and then to kill switch....that would mean that you sould test those wires to the kill switch before and after the switch to eliminate that ...and maybe that might tell more about the ignition switch also

:moped: Right, switch to starter button,ballast and kill switch . I thank everyone is getting closer to the problem.I put on a new ballast first ,but it didn't help, keep all help coming!!!!! It is about 45 degrees in garage now , Ha Ha ,,I will give more time to warm up and go check everything. We got to get it fixed today tomorrow is my birthday .

could be the switch needs cleaned. But I'd check everything else first. You can take the switch apart to clean the contacts and regrease with dielectric grease but there are tiny springs and pieces that are easily lost. It's a job to do in a very clean closed in area. Sure would be nice if someone would do a "How To" thread on cleaning the ignition switch.

Yes I have read about taking a switch apart and cleaning it . I have a switch in my parts gL1000 I can try but I went in my cold garage just now and turned my kill switch on and off and every thing went to 12 volts WOW. I don't know what switch started working correct , so I may see if it will start and run good .

I can vouch for the ignition switch cleaning--at least for making that part working surprisingly well.
I had nothing through it, but just a little scraping and cleaning and all fine--and came apart and went back together very solidly.

yes I cleaned my switch up good ,but it was not the problem. I spent hours looking for a bad connection , I was not getting enough volts to points . I looked and looked ,and finally I found it .I guess I'm SLOW. the two ballast wires was not connecting good enough . After a good connection it started right up. The boss man dan filipi was rear close to problem .

Latest posts