78 GL1000 Exhaust header question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rms

Reaction score
I just purchased some 78 GL 1000 headers off of ebay and looking over them noticed that on the right side header on the forward tube there is a big restriction in the tube about a inch below the flange that bolts to the engine head,is this normal???,this is my first Goldwing so I'm in the dark about a lot of things about them.The other three tubes are fine but this one doesn't look right.I tried blowing compressed air threw it and very little air comes out the other end,are these double walled tubes and this one collapsed?.I also noticed that for being 78 headers these show very little wear and are in great condition is this is probably why.
Thanks RMS

I have heard of that before. Dont remember all the details but I think they may be aftermarket tubes? What I remember is that they are double walled and the inner wall is collapsed. NOT GOOD !! I wouldnt run those unless you can get them opened up.
Again,,,,, this is from my memory so just use it as a suggestion and not Gospel.
Good luck.
Don

Thanks for the replys guys.I got a email from the seller and he'll take them back.I also took a hammer and blunt chisel to the hump in the tube and it is metal so this thing collapsed big time! :thanks:

Yes,those are double walled ,and they will collapse. Moot point now since he's taking em back. Keep lookin,good luck

Latest posts