'78 - pinched another loaf - Johnny 5!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My painting is either too much and get runs/sags, or too little and get orange peel like a bandit. I'd rather have the orange peel because the clear levels it (mostly). Desire was for black with a little gold (4:1) and black with more gold (3:2) as accent. Maybe too subtle? Anyway, no runs drips errors or bugs this time. Clear is supposed to be here Saturday. Of course, it looks a lot different depending on light and observation direction, but I like that.

20200406_150939s.jpg

20200406_150924s.jpg

Amazon and UPS delivered two days early, so I took advantage of the great painting weather and laid down the clear coat on the project bike's panels. Looks pretty good but now I can't touch them for a couple hours. Hopeful to mount them up Saturday!

CC1.jpg

Small setback today. Mounted the left radiator scoop, but when I went to mount the right I discovered that a brake fluid weep from the master banjo had run down and of course spoiled the frame paint beneath it. After retightening the banjo, wiping the area down thoroughly with 91% isopropyl alcohol (I've found it to be a good solvent for brake fluid), sanding lightly and wiping down again I masked the area off, wiped once more (and rechecked the banjo) and resprayed with two coats of Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy. This paint is obviously not brake fluid proof, although the Duplicolor Etching Primer apparently is! So, didn't have time to do any wet sanding yet. Might try some this evening. Just a little orange peel on the shelter sides and one side cover. Then add hardware, mount, and add badges.

BTW, I had a call today from a gentleman wanting to sell an '84 GL1200. Don't know if it was Aspencade or Interstate (not a standard). I was not interested but promised to pass it along. The bike will need exhaust work, but has been stored indoors.

Johnny 5 is pretty well finished up. Paint is actually two-tone (subtle difference, stands out as you move and light changes). Not my best, but the starter clutch finally started working reliably. Hope there are some days this week to stretch her legs!
WP_20200411_15_21_51_Pro.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216578#p216578:2o73890a said:
joedrum » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:00 pm[/url]":2o73890a]
Wow that's pretty sharp ..love the color
Thanks Joe (and everyone else). It's just Duplicolor Paint Shop (lacquer) black and gold 4:1 mix for the main central part (the Hunley's frame is done in the same color mix) with black/gold 3:2 mix for the accent outside the bend to the edges. Spraymax Glamor Clear 2K rattle can over it. I only used one can of the clear, wish I had used two. I could be better, but for a rescue out of a fence row for $350 I didn't want to put a lot into it as it will be for sale when the club challenge is over sometime this summer. I don't want to end up loosing money on it. Don't plan to make any, either.

Swapped ignitions around. The Hunley now has the Dyna S and Dyna resistor. Fired right up and sounds great! I plan to get a ride in on both Hunley and Johnny 5 tomorrow. The standard points on Johnny 5 sound good, too. I think the Prestolite may be flaky.

Did my part for Homeland Security again. Twice, actually. One trip over Norris Dam on Johnny 5, which really seems to like the standard points ignition, and another trip on the Hunley. Each trip was about a 45 mile loop.

There has been shared riding time betwen the '78, '79, and '06. The '78 (Johnny 5) was not wanting to take throttle nicely. I finally pulled the rack again. #3 plug has always indicated very lean. I discovered a 130 air jet instead of a 120 and corrected that. Polished all vacuum pistons and domes (again). Since these are '77 carbs I added a #4 washer under each needle. I had used 120 slow air jets (correct for the engine year). Replaced them with 110 (correct for the '77 carbs). Also discovered a crack and peripheral leak on one of the buttons . Sealed it with super glue. Did not have time to balance today. Just set all pilot screws to 3 1/2 turns out and rode. What a difference! If I get time after mowing tomorrow I will balance them.

Oh, and I was having the typical neutral light always on problem (and planning to not try and fix). On a quick ride I tried a little speed shifting (I know, not recommended for GL tranys). The neutral light only comes on in neutral now!

Wow the stock carbs ..they lean to begin with back in the day when gas was much better. Now the gas is leaner and dirty with alcohol based that creates such horrible deposits ..amd small carbs and passages and real adjustments makes them a nightmare ..unless bike is ran a lot and using ate in gas will help a lot too ..glad you got it sorted out nice

Latest posts