'78 - pinched another loaf - Johnny 5!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing but 100% gasoline with Stabil, Joe! The GL1800 doesn't seem to care whether it gets a little moonshine or not, but I know carbureted 'Wings don't like it. They are tee-totalers.

Rode Johnny 5 for our club's 2020 resurection challenge yesterday. Only 50 miles for the ride, but another 50 to get there and back. Nearing 90 F when I rode home. Ran (in general) rough cruising, good idle, good acceleration but rough cruise. I suspect the advance is sticky as it seems to go from good @~2k to rough to good ~2.8k in most any gear or throttle position. So, that will come off and be polished/lubed this week. Will also try Randakk's added condenser ground.

The more I read about carbs, the less I want to have a go at rebuilding the ones on my 1500 when I do the engine. Thinking the engine will be easier than doing the carbs! :music: :music:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=218602#p218602:2i85uxy1 said:
Rednaxs60 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:20 am[/url]":2i85uxy1]
The more I read about carbs, the less I want to have a go at rebuilding the ones on my 1500 when I do the engine. Thinking the engine will be easier than doing the carbs! :music: :music:
Naw, carbs are easy, just time consuming.

I'm pretty sure the carbs are as good as they'll get since they are '77 carbs on a '78 engine. That's the hand I was dealt, so I'm playing it. I did the washer under the needle mod (Randakk recommended for '77s), and have adjusted the pilot jets with no improvement in the log truck back fires. I know that a lot of that noise is due to the Jardine slashcut boom tubes.

Hmmm good idle ....if you have sync gauges try running the motor at troubled rpm and adjust carbs there ...long time ago on the angry dresser bike I had ..a 1100 with 77 carbs and early cams from a 77 ..had bad spot just like you are saying .
.i didn't have gauges and all but did ride it to bad spot and adjusted sync screws and it cured the problem and I mean it cured it ..after that my idle got I bit rougher but not bad and the bad spot was gone ..not sure if this would help yours ..but it sure made that run great ...i could find find the carbs that were giving the trouble ....sync screws have huge effect on air flow ..

Thanks Joe. I'll try that tomorrow. I have the mercury tubes, but as long as I don't rev and snap the throttle shut they should be fine. Might just use idle adjust to hold it at around 2300. BTW, I checked timing again today. Very strange that the 3/4 points are almost 4 degrees apart, and yet 1/2 is only about a degree apart. I pulled the point cam off and chucked it in the lathe. Polished it with 1200 and 3000 grit and didn't see any difference. Tried moving the point cam 180 degrees in the advancer and saw no improvement. Split the difference around the fire mark. Also tried a degree wheel (pretty easy - there are online diagrams that you can print and glue to a CD that you can bolt to the right cam pulley with a few extra washers) but the flywheel seems spot on. Thought maybe the point plate was shifting, but no movement there. And, using the degree wheel on the cam pulley rules out slop etc., so it must be in the cam movement due to operating valves. Odd that it was so much more on the inboard points.

Hmmmm interesting ....obvious the cam not moving itself ..but may be making play in its mount set up...but I have experienced belt tension plays a big part ...belt has to be tight enough to cancel out valve spring push back against drive...i can't see that cam bending ..but who knows ...i can say if belts are tension right they can purr like cat at idle ...cams are only 12 inches long and three mounting spots ...and I've never seen indication that of cam banging around on heads personally...

Didn't get to it today. Will be some time next week. Had to pick things in the garden for the wife, then it rained and I couldn't take it outside to test. Also had to touch-up header paint on the Hunley for a show tomorrow. I did rebuild a spare advance 432 mechanism left from the junker engine. Had some rust but it is all good now.