'79 wing revival

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerryb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I told my friend I would get his 1979 standard wing running for him. He is pretty busy with work and saw my "camp bike" and thought I could handle it. I never worked on a 1000 model so when a set of 1100 exhaust came off I was puzzled. ( it seems to make this exhaust work the crossover pipe needs to be removed). The bike shows low mileage so I'm not worried about it running, but when he finally found the carbs that he cleaned and bought new parts for I was surprised they were from a gl1100. I haven't started reassembling the carbs yet, but I'm wondering if they are going to give me trouble with the fit. Randaacks website says they will work, just not as well as the originals.
Anyone worked with this setup? Any problems I should be ready to solve? I would like to hear your comments, like which intake runners will I be using?

always an adventure...

Back in the day ..putting 1100 carbs on 1000 bikes was sort of a upgrade as 1100 carbs as the do better at lower rpm running ...on a 79 they actually work the best on ...so I see no problem here except what you get with carb racks ...1100 carbs have a lot of crap on them to rebuild ...

Don't the '80 and '81 carbs have a limitation that makes them harder to clean? Pressed in jet, perhaps?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211358#p211358:276knz9q said:
saganaga » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:32 pm[/url]":276knz9q]
Don't the '80 and '81 carbs have a limitation that makes them harder to clean? Pressed in jet, perhaps?

Yes, I think I read that somewhere. These are already spotless, they were cleaned by an expert (not me) so thats not a concern. I've already done a set of these carbs and they worked rather well with just a bench synch on my '83 interstate so this should go well. Time will tell.

Latest posts