81 GL 1100 Fork Seals

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

56michael

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Vetter Package
1982 GL 1100 Interstate
2016 Harley Davidson Fat Boy S
Replaced both fork seals about 3 weeks ago on my 81. Put about 400 miles on it with 20 pounds of air in the front and 50 in the back no leaks. Went on vacation for two weeks and when I got back last night one of the forks has a small leak. I wiped it off and checked it this morning and a little more fluid had leaked out over night. All the leaking has occurred without the bike being ridden. Too much air in the forks? The seal install went very well with no problems. Put 8oz of fluid in each fork after replacing the seals. And ideas?

When my original seals started leaking, I put a set of progressive springs in along with the new seals. I'm a skinny guy and ride one up mostly. I didn't put any air in and it rides fine for me and doesn't leak. Just a thought. Good luck, Dave

I replaced the leaky one and added 15 pounds of air, so far no leaks. I weigh 250 that’s why I put in 20 the manual call for 20 max. My main complaint about the bike is the spongy front end.
Any advice on these progressive springs that I’ve been hearing about?

I replaced my fork springs with Progressive fork springs and never needed to add air afterward. I also weigh in at 250 lbs so I can attest to the fact they work and really make a difference. The original Honda springs were a weak design and with age, they only get worse (very spongy). That also makes them a pain when cornering and riding at highway speeds. The old springs make the front end too bouncy. Here was my rig to get an idea of the weight distribution.

IMG_1067.JPG

Their springs make a BIG DIFFERENCE, front, as well as in the rear.
They also sell rear dampers, to finish the conversion.

I replaced the fork seals on my 81 and 82, no more leaks. My son rides the 81 I ride the 82. The front and rear suspension is spongy and bottoms out on both bikes. Its my only real compliant about the bikes. I’ve read a bit about progressive springs for the front and new shocks on the back. Any suggestions on the best place to buy them? Looks like a fairly easy install.

Latest posts