• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

81 GL1100 Interstate - excellent condition

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingin_it

Reaction score
Quick Facts:
-1981 Honda Goldwing GL110 Interstate
-Garage kept and well maintained
-48,437mi, Midnight blue metal flake
-“Touring” gauge package
-Progressive 412 rear shocks / Progressive fork springs (air suspension delete)
-New/rebuilt brakes (calipers, master cylinders, rotors, pads)
-New Dunlop tires, new battery
-Lots of spares and speciality tools
-Possible delivery (contact me)
-Location: Kalamazoo, MI (possible delivery available, see end of ad)
-Price: $3500/BO. Currently at online auction, ending July 27th

Here are the Details:
These old gl1100 Goldwings are a treasure. They are often overlooked and therefore can be had for a bargain. Jack-of-all-trades they are comfortable on the highway and really shine on byways, backroads, and twisty terrain. You can load them 2-up with all your gear and still feel stable and inspired in all sorts of conditions. The wind protection is amazing and the riding position is comfortable but alert. I’ve ridden her all over the country, enjoying beautiful scenery, quiet places, and thrilling roads. I was rarely unable to go somewhere remote, even using unimproved dirt roads and good trails on occasion. Yet I could jump on the highway and feel comfortable and stable for hundreds of miles per day. The lockable cases, multiple cubbies, and luggage rack complete this amazingly versatile motorcycle.

If you haven’t learned to love shaft-drive, you’re missing out! These 2nd generation machines are easy and inexpensive to service and maintain, have excellent parts availability, and are of high quality and reliability. Truly an excellent machine.

This one is a fine example; it has low miles due to being only seasonal-use and has been garage kept and properly stored during every off-season. It has been well maintained and was recently gone through, upgraded, and made fit for many more miles of smiles. This Interstate model has the factory “touring” gauge package: volts, outside temperature, altimeter, and clock. It also has the factory Clarion radio and speakers. It’s fun to check the weather, listen to the game, or find a neat station to hear while around the campfire after a day of riding.

Condition:
The midnight blue metal flake paint is in good condition. It shows minimal fading and has very few scratches or chips in the paint. It gets a wax twice per year and I keep it clean. The bike is very clean for a regularly ridden machine (please see pictures- FORTHCOMING!). The color is tough to show, but beautiful and unique- a very dark metallic flake blue. Everything works as intended.

I went through the bike two seasons ago and made some very nice improvements. Less than 2500milies have been covered since I completed this work:
The carburetors were cleaned and rebuilt. The air cut-off valves were replaced, the fuel pump was cleaned and inspected, and the fuel lines and filter were replaced. While I had the carbs out I flushed and brushed out the tank (found some solids but no rust).
I never liked the air suspension of this bike and when it began to show signs of trouble last year I took the opportunity to replace the rear shocks with Progressive units and the fronts with Progressive springs. I choose this setup after lots of research and several conversations and I’m very happy with the result: She rides like a dream now, inspires confidence in the twisties, and feels rock solid on the highway. I’ve never felt an old wing as nice as mine!
I decided to address a slight sticky caliper and ended up rebuilding the entire system. I rebuilt all three calipers, and both master cylinders. New pads went in and the rotors measured within spec. She stops like they did when new.
While on the lift I replaced both tires with new factory-spec Dunlop D40s and did some preventative maintenance: new thermostat, new timing belts, new battery, greased the shaft splines, deep flushed the radiator, inspected water pump, replaced ALL fluids and filters, and adjusted the valves.
This spring the starter gave up the ghost. I replaced it with a new one.

Spares (spares go with bike if a full price offer is made, otherwise they are negotiable after purchase)
*Full carburetor bank with rebuild kits, including the air cut-off valves (for rebuilding when needed).
*Front and rear calipers (for rebuilding when needed)
*Thermo fan switch (carry on long trips)
*Solenoid switch with fusible link (carry on long trips)
*Headlight bulb (H4) 100/55, taillight/turnsignal bulbs (2) (carry all the time)
*The trunk with passenger backrest is included
*Timing belts (for installation at next major service)
*SS brake lines (given to me, didn’t want them on the bike- but great as spares)

Tools:
*Carburetor sync adjustment tool
*Timing belt cover tool
*Full OEM tool kit, supplemented with tools I found useful during roadside repairs

Community:
This bike has a strong following. You’ll have access to many well written and graphically documented procedures for all the major and minor service, maintenance, and modifications at your fingertips, on the web. Plus you’ll enjoy a nation-wide community of riders providing mutual support to one another.

GL1100-specific resources:
goldwingdocs.com
classicgoldwings.com
goldwingfacts.com
ngwclub.com
wingstuff.com
saber-cycle.com
randakks.com

I may do a ride-delivery for you. I like long rides and may be willing to ride the bike to you for the cost of gas, lodging, and a ticket home. This depends on location and timing, so please contact me to arrange this before the auction ends!

-Jim

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154469#p154469:2tdszrp7 said:
Omega Man » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:55 pm[/url]":2tdszrp7]
Where are you/bike located?

Kalamazoo, MI - but I'll do a fly and ride on your dime to most of the lower 48. Just ask!
Also- I'm close to GRR (Grand Rapids Regional) Serviced by Southwest and United or AZO (Kalamazoo International Airport) Serviced by Delta and American
Additionally, Chicago is only 2 hours away and the train runs directly into Kalamazoo for around $20.

I'm going to hit the road for awhile so I may be out of contact. The wing will accrue some additional miles and I'll be back in early September.
I'll update the post if I sell it, otherwise it is available. Please be patient with me since I only check the computer weekly when on the road.