'81 GL1100 Interstate Overhaul/Restoration/Customization [Pic Heavy]

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystery16

Reaction score
As a college student currently on winter break, I purchased a 'wing with the intention of having something to work on over the next few weeks before the semester begins again towards February, and if today is any indication of what is to come, it looks like I will be in for some long days in order to have the bike where I want it to be by the end of break! That being said, I was able to get a great start today, so here goes with the documentation of my restoration of a 1981 Honda GL1100I for everyone to enjoy! Pic heavy, scroll down at one's own risk...

So, upon picking up the bike on Sunday the 16th and riding it back to my hometown (owner was about 40 miles out), I had already some idea of the condition of the bike. That being said, as soon as I saw it in person I knew it had been neglected for quite some time. According to previous owner, 20 years in the backyard before he bought it. Had the paperwork showing about 4500 dollars worth of engine work done, and from everything I saw ran nicely and handled well, etc. Had all of the luggage and side covers, but nothing installed. Paint just absolutely destroyed, and definitely dirty.

Wcu36.jpg

Unfortunately, 20 years of sun, rain, insects and etc. does not do well for plastic. The front windjammer fairing is toast. Cracked everywhere, missing bolts, rattles, barely hangs on. Unfortunately, it has to go. Fortunately, I like it better without it. :cool:

Getting the freaking thing off was a major pain in my rear, but an hour later, the damn thing is off. I even managed to find the original speaker unit tucked into the back!

c9ozq.jpg

Front fairing is off!

TGo91.jpg

Getting the frame supports off proved to be the hardest project today. The bolts were so rusted they snapped my socket wrench head. Good thing I have spares...

sjK0w.jpg

peek at the dust and rust...

Next it was time to get to the rear fender for paint. So long bag supports!
Ylm6d.jpg

before...

sYXmK.jpg

After!!!

VnqDF.jpg

evicting some spiders...

iBdUz.jpg

The exact moment that I realized I may have to rewire the entire bike. Hopefully not.

With the removal of the rear mudguard and hardware, all that was left was the front end. Taking the tank cover off was very easy in comparison, just 4 bolts. The hardest part came next, when I finally had the space to rip out the subframe supports for the front fairing. The bolts that weren't missing were rusted down pretty hard, but thankfully I have my breaking bar with me. Greatest investment ever. Unfortunately I don't have a rip saw, nor the know-how and experience to remove the front tire by myself, so wringing the d4mn thing out of the gap between the radiator and the forks was crazy impossible. I ended up having to remove one side of the engine guards completely to get it out of there.

mdvUe.jpg

This pic shows the bike with every piece that will be painted taken off. Sorry for the gratuitous shot of my Pilot in the background, I didn't want to leave her out in the rain! God I love Honda!

ZnSh0.jpg

Close-up of above...

CEAky.jpg

Reverse angle...

O3VqC.jpg

so.... much..... cleaning..... left..... :Awe:

Tomorrow, I will be going through my remnants and listing everything that I will not be re-using on the bike for sale, so if anyone needs anything, let me know once I get that put up! In the lower Sacramento area, so if anyone wants to swing by sometime over the rebuild and have a beer, PM!

Things that need to be done:
* complete cleaning of entire engine and frame
* straightening of front forks (handlebar and tire out of alignment)
* paint on all components
* complete reassembly
* custom fabrication and wiring of new headlight
* RIDE THAT SH1T!

Holla.

Looks like you're off to a good start on what will be a sweet ride!

I'd be interested in the fairing pockets and their covers, and the 4 gauge cluster - if you're sellin' them.

Check out my gallery if you want to see a really dirty bike!

Anyway, good luck, and enjoy your break!

If you need some extra hands, I'm in Woodland and have fully repainted my 82 1100I. I'm also have a spare set of forks and odds and ends from my rebuild and hoarding traits.

Also like to chat about that speaker assembly for the fairing, see if it fits my Honda Line fairing.

Update on the 'wing: cleaning still in progress. Had to take a day off because of being incredibly intoxicated. Hooray 22 years! Anyways, more cleaning to go, going to start cleaning the plastic pieces in preparation for primer and paint. Bought a headlight assembly on Ebay for 30 bucks, just need to order some universal headlight mounts, not going to try to monkey with finding an affordable set of original equipment brackets I don't think. Straightened the front end out, just some alignment issues I think; may end up taking it into a shop just to be sure. Doesn't appear to be a bend in either of the forks though. For anyone that is following, expect lots of parts to be uploaded in the next few days, I will do my best to save specific things for the people that claimed them earlier in the thread but no guarantees! Happy holidays all, talk to you after the jump.

Fortunately for me, the guy that owned the bike before me spent 4500 dollars (and I have the receipts) having the engine pretty much completely rebuilt, including the carbs and the inside of the tank. I still need to line-item the receipts to see exactly what was done, but the engine is one of the few things on this bike that actually works well right now.

Latest posts