81 rear wheel

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are working on an 81 wing. We took the rear tire and wheel off.
Putting it back on I believe we are missing a spacer between the caliper bracket and swing arm.. We cleaned the entire room and no spacer found.
Looking at the part manual for this bike there is no spacer in the book. Hence no part number.

Looking at the "how to's" and remove rear wheel I find one pic. 13. Place the outer axle spacer in between the caliper bracket and the swingarm

Does the 81 have a spacer? If so can you give me a part number or a diagram of the rear wheel showing it?

Does any one have an extra one laying around? If can not find I am tempted to use washers to fill the space.

any hints???

No spacer,the bracket mounts on the axle where the axle comes thru the swingarm

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

I was trying to do some research last night that might help out wilcoy02 and before I realized the 81 only had 1 piston and was a totally different animal to what I'm used to, then I noticed an anomaly that might affect my project.

There's what the parts lists call a Collar A RR distance, part# 42620-431-670, it's about 4" long and fit's snugly over the rear axle. I was under the impression it went between the right side bearing and into the final drive, or at least I thought that's where I took it out of but all the exploded diagrams show it going between the bearings,

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Far be it for me to be the one that questions the artist that draws the pictures we all rely on but?

I don't see how it can go there because I didn't remove the perfectly good bearings from the wheel and if that's where it went, that's where it would still be.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=217690#p217690:bbis2yza said:
wilcoy02 » Fri May 29, 2020 7:05 pm[/url]":bbis2yza]
Yes there are some differences between 80 -81 and more differences in the 83.
This keeps you on your toes. When dealing with 1100's.

Don't it just, especially when your bike's made out of all of them!

The spacer does fit inside the final drive unit between the bearing ..on bearing is in the wheel the other is inside final dive unit ..besy it stays inside the final drive unit

The spacer I forgot to mention,is part number 42313-422-000.it fits next to the wheel bearing and goes behind the caliper bracket.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Latest posts