82 GL1100 starter problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

56michael

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Vetter Package
1982 GL 1100 Interstate
2016 Harley Davidson Fat Boy S
After rebuilding the carbs this winter on my 82’ the bike was running really well. It was a non runner when I got it last fall I have not rode the bike yet. After doing all the routine maintenance Im anxious to take it for a ride. I have a heated garage at about 50 degrees. I started the bike a few times during the winter and I would need to hit the starter button a few times to get it to engage the starter would spin but not engage all the time. So yesterday it’s almost 60 degrees here in Minnesota I get the bike out and start it forgot to turn on the gas petcock and it quit. I try to restart it and nothing. My battery is new full charged, all the lights, radio, turn signals work fine, checked all the fuses all good. When I hit the starter button nothing happens the green neutral light just dims a little when I push the button. 49,000 on the bike. Any suggestions as to what the problem is?

Could be a few things. Most common:

1. starter push button contact is dirty (might not be the problem since the neutral light is dimming)
2. bad/dirty cable connection at starter/battery/solenoid (very common)
3. starter brushes are bad, dirty or need replacement.

I have a completely rebuilt original '82 starter with all new internals using the Stockers kit. If you find you need a starter, I can make it available. Just beware of buying aftermarket starters (they often do not match up correctly, spin the wrong way).

Today I took out the battery pulled out the main fuse/ solenoid and noticed one of the terminals was loose and corroded. I’m going to clean those up and see what happens. I’ll pull the starter if that doesn’t fix it. How much do you want for your rebuild starter?
Thanks for your speedy reply.

I am reluctant to put this forward but.... I think the sprague clutch could be the culprit. This is typical of GL1100's because of their age and if the bike has been sitting for a while. I have experienced this. The engine needs to be pulled for this. The actual parts if replaced are about $100. Good luck..

Today I finished cleaning up all the connections on the main fuse/ solenoid and tighten everything up. Turned the key and pushed the button and nothing same as before. I did more searching online and found a article suggesting a method of testing a solenoid by turning the key on then take a jumper cable from the positive side of the battery to the starter connection. So I gave it a try and it started right up. So do I have a bad solenoid?

Today I finished cleaning up all the connections on the main fuse/ solenoid and tighten everything up. Turned the key and pushed the button and nothing same as before. I did more searching online and found a article suggesting a method of testing a solenoid by turning the key on then take a jumper cable from the positive side of the battery to the starter connection. So I gave it a try and it started right up. So do I have a bad solenoid?
Could be a bad solenoid or it could be a problem with the Start push button contacts not making contact.
With a volt meter you can check if the solenoid is getting power when pushing the button. FYI the button provides the ground (or battery negative)

Goldwing docs has a VERY good tutorial on how to clean up and go through a GL1100 starter. Mine used to do the would not engage thing too. Especially when it was cold. Even if the issue is electrical this is a good PM item for when you have an afternoon. PS Good to see another 1100 guy in MN. I'm East of Rochester.. Happy Riding!