82 interstate refurbish project. My first Goldwing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burtonstratton

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
82 GL1100 Interstate
65 BMW R50/2
71 BMW R60/5
Hi,
New to goldwings. Picked up a project bike for nothing. 82 interstate. Classic maroon and gold stripes.
Bike is all there. Last ran in 2008 Im told. Maybe 2006. Was on the ground when I picked it up. Front brake sticky. Very hard to move.
Cleaned up nice. Really not had cosmetically. No ignition key...first problem. Got a key made. Solved.
Carbs off and just finished rebuild. Quite a project. Hoping to get them back on the bike and see if i can get er going.

I have 2 vintage beemers. I restored them both. Goldwing drive train is very similar...with more cylinders. Seems to be very well designed and built. Cant wait to see how she rides. Never had the pleasure. Im sure ill need lots of help. Looking foward to getting to know some of you

Hi,
New to goldwings. Picked up a project bike for nothing. 82 interstate. Classic maroon and gold stripes.
Bike is all there. Last ran in 2008 Im told. Maybe 2006. Was on the ground when I picked it up. Front brake sticky. Very hard to move.
Cleaned up nice. Really not had cosme
20220521_162911.jpg
20220521_162928.jpg
tically. No ignition key...first problem. Got a key made. Solved.
Carbs off and just finished rebuild. Quite a project. Hoping to get them back on the bike and see if i can get er going.

I have 2 vintage beemers. I restored them both. Goldwing drive train is very similar...with more cylinders. Seems to be very well designed and built. Cant wait to see how she rides. Never had the pleasure. Im sure ill need lots of help. Looking foward to getting to know some of you

My first question will be regarding sources for parts and information (manual, schematics, etc.)
I broke a drain plug on one of the float bowls. Managed to find a new plug and o-ring but broke the bowl truing to extract the old plug. Just the thread hoising. Glued it back together with my locktite extreme glue (that stuff is magic) and new plug threads nicely in but would rather get another bowl.
I have a line on a parts bike but cant seem to the the owner to move on it.
Well. Bench testing the carbs today.

Very pretty! If you bench test the carbs, with a clear tube stuck in the drain port. This will show you that the floats are shutting off correctly. It will also show you the fuel level in the bowls. To bench synch, use a tiny drill bit as a feeler gauge between the butterflies and the carb body. Before you do this, dial in a high idle so you can close the butterflies when you are finished.

Attachments

• IMG_5448.JPG
    IMG_5448.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5444.JPG
    IMG_5444.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 0
Removed timing belt covers to check / change belts. They look ok and motor turns easily. Plan is to get it running before jumping into expensive stuff. Is it common practice to change idlers along with belts?

If the cams stop turning (broken cam belts) while the crank continues, pistons will hit open valves, causing damage to valves, valve guides, pistons, and possibly cylinder heads, etc.

Gates belts were available, back when i did mine.
For way less money than the stock Honda belts.
Forget the car engines that use these belts

Japanese Industry Standard. They look like a Phillips head, but aren't quite as pointed. If you try to use a regular Phillips on a Honda screw that is the least bit corroded or overtorqued you'll strip the head out.