83' GL1100 Engine problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen77

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Honda Goldwing Interstate
I just traded to a Goldwing GL1100 that was left standing in a field for 2 years. The engine was seized but I managed to break it loose yesterday. It still is a little tight when I use a breaker bar and crank it over a few times. I don't know why it was seized or the history of the bike but I want very much to restore it back to its glory days. What would make the engine still somewhat hard to crank around. I replaced the oil and put Motor Flush in it to try to loosen up any gunk that may still be in it. I can use a strong drill with an adapter for a 19mm socket and crank it over. It will crank over and spin but the drill does heat up under the resistance. Any ideas??

It should spin pretty easily, plugs out of course.
I’d pull the valve covers and front belt covers to see the condition. Can see then while cranking with the drill if oil is coming out the camshafts area.

I had one that flooded the cylinders with fuel from the tank and just soaked the intake valves turning the carbon into goo that hardened the valves in position, I had to take off the intake manifolds, valve covers and pick out the goo while tapping the valve stem to coax the valves closed.
A smarter guy might have just took the heads off but I do things the hard way.

Thank you everyone for your quick response. I will spinning it again to look for oil coming frm the valves. I have poured different penetrating oils into the cylinders, That probably helped loosen it, but I haven't tried vinegar. I have the plugs out now. I have to fix the starter before I can use it to spin the motor. Once I get to that point I will spray some starting fluid in and see what happens. The borescope idea is also a good possibility.
'

I had one that flooded the cylinders with fuel from the tank and just soaked the intake valves turning the carbon into goo that hardened the valves in position, I had to take off the intake manifolds, valve covers and pick out the goo while tapping the valve stem to coax the valves closed.
A smarter guy might have just took the heads off but I do things the hard way.
And taking off the heads is exactly what I did to free up mine given the circumstances. :ROFLMAO: Was very pleased when I found that it was the gas/gunk combo and everything cleaned up nicely.

Try to determine condition of oil in crankcase. I'm living in Cda where most liq cooled motors have antifreeze as coolant.
It sometimes leaks into the motor oil from leaking head gasket or metal crack.. If enough coolant (antifreeze)
leaked into the oil it may have caused the motor to seize. Antifreeze is part sugar and when mixed and heated enough
turns thick I'm guessing that might be cause for motor to stop solid. Since it seized and is still difficult to turn - hate to
say it but might be looking at stripping it down and complete clean and rebuild every thing that used to be immersed in oil.
On other hand maybe as with zman the bike gods may be shining and cylinders and big ends might still be serviceable>
Keep your fingers crossed!! Best luck!

Latest posts