83 Interstate back in the family

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljurgens

Reaction score
Hello,
New member here from the La Crosse WI area. I have recently taken possession of a 1983 GL1100 Interstate that just happened to be my father-in-laws bike years ago. He had bought it new and then sold it 10 or so years ago. I contacted the current owner and he decided to give the bike to me to get it back in the family.

I am unsure yet what my project outcome will be, but I am leaning toward removing the plastic and going Naked :)

So, I have no idea what maintenance has been performed, and the bike has 200,325 miles on it. Bought a new battery and she fired up pretty quickly but isn't running super smooth. Lots of debris shot out of the pipes when she coughed to life. Please point me to the forum pages I should start with to get a handle on what I have and what I need to do maintenance wise before I dig any deeper. I think my plan is to tear her down to the frame and clean , paint and polish everything and then replace bearings, timing belts, gaskets etc. Since she ran, do I need to dig any deeper than external gaskets like valve covers and water pump etc.? Planning on replacing fuel filter and all fuel and water hoses as well.

Thanks!

Welcome to the site!

How far you go sort of depends on the intended use of the machine. Since it's got some serious miles, lots of things will need attention unless it was very well sorted up 'til the end of its last use. Actually, the fact that it DOES have 200k miles speaks well of the care it got.

...but. If you're looking to tour the lower 48, and assuming solid compression numbers with no funny noises, I'd still think long and hard about the driveline (tranny/clutch/rear drive unit). Then everything (EVERYTHING) else.

If you're just looking for an around-town naked putt, tune/fluids/brakes/belts/tires/ride! (Neat that you got the FIL's bike back!)

It's more than likely going to be a regional ride, around the area for bike nights and such. I have a Victory Vision for serious riding around the continent :BigGrin: Although my 21 yo son is eventually going to be the owner (3rd generation!) we want to make sure its in good shape so we planned to replace any bearings, belts, hoses and seals, grease etc as we put it together. I wouldn't be opposed to tackling head gaskets and such, but rebuilding a tranny might be out of my league...

Welcome from Oz. Congrats on returning a family member to the fold. :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199738#p199738:15f2yjx9 said:
wilcoy02 » Yesterday, 7:00 pm[/url]":15f2yjx9]
Welcome to the forum from Ohio.

I bought an 83 wing. Here is what I have done to the bike and my cost. This includes my poor boy conversion.
It now is running really good.

viewtopic.php?f=123&t=10972

My wing is an exact twin to yours. But, the tupperware is now in the garage attic, probably never to be seen again :BigGrin:
I think the bags will come back, but the trunk and fairing won't be back.
-Lance