83 rear caliper

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could not push my bike off the lift. Wife and I pushed it just far enough.

Put it on the center stand and the rear tire would not move.
To get the caliper off I had to use a heavy rubber hammer, several times.
The one piston is not moving at all. The second piston came out with the air pressure.
I can not get the second one back in to use pressure to get them both out.

Several years ago I used a grease gun to get the pistons out. Worked like a charm.
Now I have no idea how I got the grease into the caliper.

If you know how to use a grease gun on the caliper please enlighten me.

If you can't get the one piston back in to push the other out, I have an idea:

Take a c-clamp, a small block of wood, and some scrap rubber. Put the block of wood over the bore where the one piston came out, and use the rubber between the block of wood and the caliper to act like a gasket. Secure with the c-clamp. That should prevent air from escaping.

Then use compressed air again.

Never tried this, but it should work.

In the future, leave a brake pad in, and that prevents one piston from popping out before the other.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216115#p216115:2ky35e35 said:
wilcoy02 » 2 minutes ago[/url]":2ky35e35]
I finally found a grease gun with the same threads as the caliper. the piston slid right out.
Thanks for the help.
For future reference, what size zerk fitting did you get?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216126#p216126:3betr5ao said:
wilcoy02 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:24 am[/url]":3betr5ao]
Yes that is what i did. Both pistons have to be in place to get both to slide out with the grease.
At least on the 1000, you can put a stiff rubber disk in place of the cross over gasket and pump the outer one out by itself.

Latest posts