'85 GL1200 Limited Edition - Post C-19 Maitenance 2022

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is Part 6 in the thread series "GL1200 Engine Rebuild". There are 5 other threads related:

Part 1: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14067
Part 2: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14282
Part 3: Assembly and Install - viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14284
Part 4: Getting to the Road - viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14323
Part 5: Post Getting to the Road: GL1200 Engine Rebuild - Part 5 - Post Getting To The Road

The other related thread(s) are about the painting of my '85 Limited edition:

GL1200 Paint Project: GL1200 Paint Project
GL1200 Paint Project - Part Two - GL1200 Paint Project - Part 2
GL1200 Paint Project - Part Three - The Finish: GL1200 Paint Project - Part 3 - The finish

Will be reviewing the other threads regarding this bike and what I have learned, but that is for later. My '85 Limited Edition has kept me busy over the years.

This thread is to document what I have left to do, and if anything happens to this bike.

The last vestiges of work maintenance that I will be doing, besides maintenance that always needs to be done is injector replacement, sent a set to WitchHunter in WA state, and replacing the few remaining vacuum hoses when I take out the air chamber.

Once this work is done, will be connecting the vacuum gauges to the engine, one per cylinder even though this is not required for a left/right cylinder bank balance, but to make sure there is no vacuum leaks and all cylinders are "pulling" the same.

Cheers

Last edited:
Started stripping the bike so I can remove the air chamber, and install the reconditioned injectors that I received today.

The injectors emulated the report I recieved. The shop replaced the filters, pintle caps, o-rings, lower/upper seals, very nice work:

injectors.jpg

Quite different from the last set I had done.

Called the shop regarding the pintle sealing washer. The one provided is 14 mm, OEM is 16 mm. Shouldn't be an issue. The owner told me that if I had sent the entire unit with the sealing washers, he would have matched. Note to self and collective, if you use WitchHunter Performance to get injectors serviced, send everything including shim washers and he will match.

Was going to wait to remove the air chamber because the vacuum hose I had ordered had not arrived; however, the vacuum hose showed up so I have no reason not to remove the air chamber and finish the work I planned. Only adds a couple of days, and the weather forecast is not the best.

Air chamber out and back in. Replaced the 8 short air supply hoses from the reed valves to the throttle bodies. Checked the hose going to the reed valves from the IAC valve, secure - no change.

Finished for the day. Injector holders, injectors, and button up the fuel system tomorrow. May get it to a point where I can start the engine to determine how this work affects the engine operation on cold start, and when at operating temp.

Have a few more thoughts on little projects to do.

Always something.

Thanks Dan. Still working on the old girl as you can see, and have some additioanl small projects to do.

There's a fellow Canuck in Barrie Ontario, just north of Toronto where I grew up that, for a winter project, fully restored a 1972 CB350F (it was almost pristine to start) on the NG Forum: Winter project 1972 CB350F - FOUR - NGWClub®, Inc.

I was not as fastidious as he, but thinking I'll find a chrome plating shop and do the chrome bits. Can't hurt to inquire. Have some other parts in the rear that could use a redo.

Here's a couple of pics of his bike:
cb350four.jpgChrome Parts.JPG
Have a look at his thread, very nicely done project.

Looked into chrome plating. Found a company close by that does this. Depending on the quality of what it has to work with, an estimate can be given. Best time for doing this work would be the fall. I low balled what I thought it would cost at $1K CDN. The fellow mentioned that may be a starting point.

We discussed the quality of the older chrome and both agreed that the chrome from back in '85 is signficantly better than the chrome of today, just an opinion.

The reason I'm thinking doing this is that it would complement the engine rebuild and the new paint job. It's one of those items that can make the look of the bike "POP". Might not rival the CB350F or the Hunley, but it would make the bike very nice.

Not much more to do to bring this old girl close to factory condition. Long term retirement project trundling on.

Put the '85 back together this afternoon. Fired up. Thinking the refreshed injectors have made a difference - sounded different. Will wait until the weather clears up, then out for a trip to Chemainus for coffee and scone.

Lawnmower next, have to remove the engine frome the base or oil gets all over everything.

Will be starting the Spyder soon.

Latest posts