'85 GL1200 LTD Issue

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4878

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been a long time owner/collector of many vintage Honda's which I ride regularly and daily, however I've recently taken the step up and become a Goldwing owner! I picked myself up a 1985 GL1200 LTD in great shape. The other day I ran into a small issue on it and I'm hoping one of you LTD/SEi guru's may be able to help me out. My issue takes about 1 hour of riding to develop and once it develops it can be replicated fairly consistently. Here's what's happening:

In situation where I'm riding on a flat stretch of road and the engine is running in such a way where the bike is not accelerating nor decelerating and it held at a perfect speed (particularly at 60-70kph, yes I'm Canadian) the engine will cut out very similar to if it it running out of fuel. If you accelerate it pulls fine, no problem under deceleration, however it will develop once you start to roll from a stop unless you keep the RPM's above 1500-2000 range. If the engine speed isn't dramatically increased and I ride the clutch it will cut out and cause a stall. No fuel system lights come on, nor are there any lights displayed on the ECU when it's occurring. Fuel filter doesn't seem to have any abnormal obstruction, fuel pressure remains constant at around 30psi while the problem occurs, spark plug burn looks good, compression is good, fresh fuel, air filter is clean, tested nearly every sensor on it as per the supplement manual and everything seems within spec. The problem doesn't seem to exist above 90 KPH just around town and sometimes just a little bit of hesitation after changing gears and accelerating. To me it doesn't seem like a spark or ignition issue because there is no backfire from unburned fuel on a missed stroke, it just acts like there's not enough fuel getting to it. Does anyone have any ideas on what I might be missing or where to go from here? It starts up cold and runs great until about an hour into riding. Doesn't seem to be directly temperature related, happens at 4,5 or 6 bars on the coolant gauge, doesn't seem to matter. If it stalls it fires right back up, no loss of spark as would be expected with the common pulse generator issues and not at a consistent enough point of throttle to convince me it's a tps.

Maybe check for a vacuum leak, I really don't know injection on the wings but it does sound like it is leaning out till you shoot it with fuel.

Sounds to me like you have a dirty injector. Try adding a little of your favorite injector cleaner or about 6 oz of automatic transmission fluid to the gas each fill up.

Another thought. I had a similar issue years ago in a volkswagon fuel injected. Plug gaps were set too big. Reset them and it never had an issue afterward.

Hey everyone thanks for the replies! fresh fuel was done after the first symptoms were notices and it had no effect. Previous owner had run a little seafoam in every tank, as well as all plugs are burning identical, if there was a dirty injector that wasn't delivering it's full spray it should show a lean plug. Upon further inspection I found the TPS was set at .570vdc at idle so I adjusted it back to .480vdc in compliance with the sup manual, as well I synced the throttle bodies and reset the idle and it smoothed everything out real nice and the throttle response seems a lot smoother. Just waiting on the rain to stop so I can take it out for another ride and see if those adjustments make any difference!

Latest posts