'85 Limited Edition Dash Odometer Replacement

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to be swapping out the odometer from a 1200 ASPY dash and put it into my '85 Limited Edition dash. The P/N for the odometer is the same 37210-MG9-871. The fiche does not delineate between miles and kilometers so I'm expecting that this is not an issue. Once I have swapped the odometer, have thought about a test procedure to determine if I have a functional odometer before I install the dash and button everything up.

Going to take pics of the process.

Took the ASPY dash apart. Took the wire harness cover off and disconnected the wire harness:
Wire Connector Cover.jpg
Wire Connectors.jpg
Took the front dash glass and faceplate off:
Dash Glass.jpg
This "glass" will fit all the 1200 LCD displays. Four screws and the PCB comes out:
Remove PCB.jpg
Two more screws and the odometer comes out. This pic shows the odometer with the small motor removed. The motor was removed to prove that the numbers were free to rotate:
odometer - motor removed.jpg
Did the same for the '85 dash.

My test rig was a drill with a small common screwdriver bit that fit the front wheel speed sensor:
Calibrated test tool.jpg
I attached the odometer motor to the '85 dash:
Motor - PCB.jpg
Tested to determine if the motor was U/S or not:
Dash connected to test.jpg
Key on, dash lit up, and using the drill in the speed sensor, the speed on the dash was indicated and the trip meter operated, but both odometer motors did not operate.

This indicates to me that the odometers should be good, but the odometer PCB circuit has failed somewhere. My expertise is not in PCB troubleshooting so another new to me dash is needed. Talking to my brother this morning and he suggested contacting the local college electronics department and ask if it could troubleshoot the PCB board and determine where the fault is, and if possible, replace the affected component.

I noticed when I first put the shelter on, and connected the travel computer to the system, that when I changed from Kilometers to miles, the dash indication changed but the fuel management system of the travel computer did not. The fuel management system of the travel computer works well in Kms so not a big issue, but would like to understand why the system does not change.

Have ordered up a new to me dash. Have an ECU and travel computer coming as well. Price was good. ECU is coming off the '85 Limited Edition carcass I bought in Ontario. Will test on my bike to ensure it is working properly.

Latest posts