$90 - GL1100 Fork Covers

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saganaga

Reaction score
$89.95, free shipping on Ebay.

I'm tempted. The fork covers are the hardest thing to find for a GL1100. But I'm enjoying the Vetter fairing, and I'd rather not remove the forks each time I convert between the two.

If they were half the price to my door, in that condition, I'd probably jump at the chance.

If you ever intend to go back to standard, those are the hardest covers to find because they still have their turn signal tabs on them! Most of the time, the tabs have been cut because so many Standards had Vetter farings added. They also have their rubber gaskets which are not made anymore.

s-l1600b.jpg

Someone should jump on these! :shock:

mcgovern61":1j0u69b5 said:
I'd rather not remove the forks each time I convert between the two.

BTW, the forks do not come off to install these. The top of the triple tree comes off and they slide right on.
An improvement on the 1000, then. On it, you have to pull the fork leg all the way out, put the bracket over the lower and under the upper tree (it kind of wraps the lower tree ear) and put all of the rubber in the correct place, then put the leg back up through it all. It is quite fun.

On a '79, 99% have those signal ears hack sawed off also.

An improvement on the 1000

Yes it is! I made the mistake of thinking I had to pull the forks when I first put mine on after pulling the Vetter and could not get the top gasket to fit! There was just no way to do it without damaging the gasket, until I realized that you just pop the top of the tree off and all pieces slide right in. Here is my experience:

viewtopic.php?p=116230#p116230

Y'all convinced me. I bought them. I'll add them to my collection of parts.

For the top of the triple tree to come off, does the steering stem bolt need to be removed or not? The only section I've found in the service manual is the steering stem removal, which states to remove the bolt before removing the top plate. I'm wondering if that step can be skipped.

I've had the fairings off my '83's several times and don't relish the job of fork disassembly or taking the triple trees off. How about a set of cafe race headlight ears that could be left in place by folding them in to clear the vetter when it is in place. The turn signals for "naked" operation could be the kind that clamp to the fork tubes or a bracket on the fork clamp bolt ( the pinch bolt on the side of the lower triple).
Better yet, rescue another wing without a fairing, and ride the version that fits your weather that day... less wrenching, no greasy fingers.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214050#p214050:2ggz7qoi said:
kerryb » 6 minutes ago[/url]":2ggz7qoi]
I've had the fairings off my '83's several times and don't relish the job of fork disassembly or taking the triple trees off. How about a set of cafe race headlight ears that could be left in place by folding them in to clear the vetter when it is in place. The turn signals for "naked" operation could be the kind that clamp to the fork tubes or a bracket on the fork clamp bolt ( the pinch bolt on the side of the lower triple).
Better yet, rescue another wing without a fairing, and ride the version that fits your weather that day... less wrenching, no greasy fingers.

I've thought about hand milling or converting a clamp on adapter for turn signals. Seems like a lot of work though, if I want something similar to the Honda look.

Alas, don't have the storage space for another Goldwing.

Latest posts