93` Jeep Wrangler no start

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I am trying to help a lady out with a jeep that has been sitting a few years, Tank has fresh fuel, Fires right up when starting fluid is used but then dies. With the key on ignition I checked for pressure at the fuel rail, The book says to depress the little valve and watch for fuel to exit and I get nothing.
The pump is in the tank and I can hear no pump noise or vibrations from it so I am leaning towards a pump that sat too long and is goober`d up from sitting.
Just wondering if any of you have experience with the 93 jeep or any similar year model, I think I should hear something from the pump/tank, Checked the relay..It clicks, Fuse check out.
Keep in mind it was running perfectly fine just sat for a few years.
Any advice appreciated.

It sure sounds like the fuel pump. You should hear it run for a few seconds each time you turn the key on without hitting the starter. If not, you might try tapping the fuel tank with a rubber mallet to see if that might shake the contacts loose.
Good luck.

Fuel pump is trashed....or it has severe corrosion on the connector...

I would post it on a Jeep Forum where your more likely to get people that own Jeeps .!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83999#p83999:2s4ueayl said:
1060dsl » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:19 pm[/url]":2s4ueayl]I would post it on a Jeep Forum where your more likely to get people that own Jeeps .!
Yea, I though of that but the last thing I need is to join another forum, I belong to 4 of them and that`s quit enough , But if I was a Jeep enthusiast I would probably join one.

Good advise, but as an autoelectrician who only yesterday went and diagnosed a Holden Statesman ( Aussie car by GM Holden) by spraying some butane gas ( for my soldering iron ) into the intake to prove that it was no fuel. Pumps are cheap and wear out regularly so that is always the first place to start as long as you know you have good power to it. :yes:

Oddly enough, I do own a Jeep (3 of them actually and a 62 Willys pickup) and I belong to 4 Jeep forums plus one I run. However, this is not a Jeep specific problem. But yes, mist likely fuel pump. I would change the filter too.

Bill

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84037#p84037:5pz6x2e9 said:
80-winger » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:14 am[/url]":5pz6x2e9]Oddly enough, I do own a Jeep (3 of them actually and a 62 Willys pickup) and I belong to 4 Jeep forums plus one I run. However, this is not a Jeep specific problem. But yes, mist likely fuel pump. I would change the filter too.

Bill

Nice! I had a 52 Willy P/U back in the 90`s, Super hurricane 6 , 33`s and white spokes other then that fresh off the farm. Couldn't go more then 55-60 with the gearing but what a climber.
I miss that truck.

Thanks, mine is a work in progress. Currently no motor but I have a 401, th400, np231 combo I'm thinking about installing. I'll be swapping in axles from an '83 wagoneer to eliminate the gearing issue. But none of that gets done until my new to me 80 gl1100 is on the road.

Bill

P.S. I also have a 54 and 55 in rough project condition. I'll be selling at least one of them off after I make sure I don't need parts off of them for the 62.