Adjusting the steering head bearings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomahawk

Reaction score
Is there a spot on adjusting the steering head bearings on an 83 Aspy. I am going to change the wheel bearings and would like to tighten the steering head while I'm at it

Thanks so Much in advance

Tom Tomahawk

not sure if theres a thread on this but once you get the front wheel off youll be able to check for play easily , if play is there tighten it up without binding the movement sould be good id think

The reason for all this is...... Late last season I Had a slight hop and a shimmy in the front end. I put a new tire on and had it balanced and checked the wheel bearings and they seemed fine. So I put the wheel back on.

The hop is gone but at about 45mph I still have a very slight shimmy. I have heard that this is a goldwing thing and keeping the head adjusted properly will stop the shimmy??

It is by no means extreme just covering all the possibilities

Thanks Again

Tom :? :? :?

Hi Tom,
the service manual has good instructions for the adjustment of the steering head bearings. in section 12 I believe.
honda has asked to have these manuals removed from open posting online, but if you need a copy I'd be happy to send it to you.

Thanks Joe!
Too bad Honda took that stance on there info.
This post caught my eye, as I have been thinking I might check/tighten my steering head bearings too :D
would be a good time to clean all those small spots up, and install the LED lighting in the instrument cluster

I have the manual from before the crash. I downloaded it then I will check it out thanks very much

Honda is being kinda snotty don't you think. They cant be losing anything on 20 year old manuals being posted.

Thanks for your help. This is probably the most informative forum out there

Tomahawk":2bms5r58 said:
I have the manual from before the crash. I downloaded it then I will check it out thanks very much

Honda is being kinda snotty don't you think. They cant be losing anything on 20 year old manuals being posted.

Thanks for your help. This is probably the most informative forum out there

I can't see how they would be losing anything, they won't work on a bike that is over 10 years old! :rtfm:

Latest posts