Another One Back on the Road

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Havranasty

Reaction score
I finally got this '77 back on the road. It had been parked wet six years ago. It is a 7000 mile original bike. One thing I would pass along that I didn't see in any "How to Raise a Goldwing From the Dead" manuscript is to break loose and carefully retorque the heads. It made a big difference for me! I still need to get the aluminum polished and the "horseshoe" repainted but all is well for now.

Attachments

• pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 118
I took it to a shop to synchronize the carburetors and they thought the head gaskets needed to be replaced since the rpm varied when the area was sprayed with carburetor cleaner? I decided to retorque them instead.

Anyone need to replace head gaskets on a long layover bike with 7K miles?

First of all, spraying anything around the outside of the head would not get any of it into the combustion chamber, thereby altering the idle speed. It would have to first get thru the COOLANT in order to make it to the combustion chamber. Are you sure they did not say the INTAKE gaskets/o-rings at the bottoms of the air intakes where they bolt up to the heads? Or maybe the rubber couplings from the carbs to the intakes?

All O-rings are new and the boots are nice and tight. Idle still hangs but I think it needs some more slack in the cable.

Latest posts