Another one gone

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lew1701

Reaction score
Well, I had to part with another one of my toys this weekend. :head bang: Too damn expensive to keep the registrations and insurance up. :fiddle: .

I put historic plates on one so no need to reregister for 25 years. Liabilty insurance on 4 bikes a year isn't too bad.

slabghost":1a9oydec said:
I put historic plates on one so no need to reregister for 25 years. Liabilty insurance on 4 bikes a year isn't too bad.
I thought about getting "antique" plates...but then I would only be able to ride it in parades and shows and stuff like that. And as far as insurance goes...you're right...it is not too bad on the bike but when you combine my daughters car (she's 17)...my wifes car...my 4 wheel drive explorer on top of 4 motorcycles the insurance starts adding up pretty quick. Also when you factor in each car is $100 per year to register and 3 of the bikes are $65 each....damn, no wonder I'm always broke :fiddle:

lew1701":1wmtdv6q said:
slabghost":1wmtdv6q said:
I thought about getting "antique" plates...but then I would only be able to ride it in parades and shows and stuff like that. And as far as insurance goes...you're right...it is not too bad on the bike but when you combine my daughters car (she's 17)...my wifes car...my 4 wheel drive explorer on top of 4 motorcycles the insurance starts adding up pretty quick. Also when you factor in each car is $100 per year to register and 3 of the bikes are $65 each....damn, no wonder I'm always broke :fiddle:

I may have to do the same..
Especially if I don't ride them much, I cannot really justify the expense.
Nowadays, I ride my 4 other motorcycles only once a month or two months. Whenever I am going out, my son wants to go so I end up riding GL sidecar rig.

But I am afraid selling is getting tough also. I put my CB for sale on Craig's list a few years ago and immediatly got several offers. I decided not to sell at that time. This time I did it a few month ago and only got a single email. I replied to it but no response after that.

slabghost":2vds4xz8 said:
This is the worst time of a bad year to sell bikes or boats. However it is a good time to buy.

Yes! I should buy!

I like lew1701's sig.
"My wife says I can't save every rusty old Honda I find...I say she's WRONG!!!"

I want CB450 black bomber.. only if my wife won't kill me.
I need to sell one before buying one. That's the problem.

skiri251":3t3v9apc said:
slabghost":3t3v9apc said:
This is the worst time of a bad year to sell bikes or boats. However it is a good time to buy.

Yes! I should buy!

I like lew1701's sig.
"My wife says I can't save every rusty old Honda I find...I say she's WRONG!!!"

I want CB450 black bomber.. only if my wife won't kill me.
I need to sell one before buying one. That's the problem.
The number of toys in my garage have been the subject of MANY heated discussions in my household. :heat: Even though she is the first one to jump on the back whenever I go on a ride, she still thinks I spend too on them. :whip:

Whenever I have a trouble with my motorcycles, my wife says just sell all of them and buy a nice brand-new one which is trouble free.

NO. I don't want a brand-new motorcycle. I want old ones I wanted to have when I was young.

yeah its like you have no intrest at all in the new stuff .....i just like to be able to wrench myself into a fix ..the simplisity machanical logic is far supperior to run by wire teck ....hands down in my choice ....old bike are the only way to get it :mrgreen:

I've a dozen in my stable in various stages of assembly and still watch for the next good buy. Seems I stay with 4 per season rideable. :good:

a dozen!
I wish I had that many.

I am running out of garage space especially with the sidecar rig.
I read somewhere that your KZ750 is a twin. I had KZ400B1 when I was young. Miss that engine sound.
I need to add Kawasaki to my stable.

I have two KZ750s. The one with historic plates is indeed a twin. The other is an 82 LTD four cylinder. Both have their appeal. The four is really quick and smooth. The twin feels very light and has the torque of a farm tractor with a sound I can listen to all day. I have no space in my garage for all of them. Some are in my shed and others are left to suffer in the carport which I'm slowly enclosing.

skiri251":207bhqon said:
a dozen!
I wish I had that many.

I am running out of garage space especially with the sidecar rig.
I read somewhere that your KZ750 is a twin. I had KZ400B1 when I was young. Miss that engine sound.
I need to add Kawasaki to my stable.

How about a kz police,there are pretty nice ones out there.I guess an 80's gpz 1000 would be another good choice. :yes:

The very first street bike I ever owned was a '78 kz650. Bought it used in 1983 and over the next few years I rode it from southern CA to Illinois many times and was my only means of local transportation. One weekend I went to visit some friends in Monrovia (some of you California boys might know where that is) and the bike had a total electrical failure. Being a 20 something year old bonehead, I just left it in a Black Angus parking lot and never saw it again. I would give almost anything to have it back again.

A former co-worker and still great friend has a Kawi 650 2 stroke(yes 2 stroke) in original (barn/garage) find condition for sale. If anyone is interested I will provide info. In Pennsylvania , I insure liability only on my 2 bikes (83 Aspy,84 Shadow 700) for $100.00 per year, registration is $18.00 per bike. I have real estate enough for more but not the capital to provide indoor storage for more, otherwise I would have a ridiculous stable!

ps ins. co. is Aegis

I had a 3 cyl 650 2 stroke. Crazy fast bike!
I hear the 750 2 stroke is even faster

Mine would bog until about 20k rpm then it would shoot off like a bullet.
Hard bike to ride but I loved that power and the sound.

Latest posts