Another Project - Compendium of Articles

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I started this 4 years ago when I bought my 1985 Limited Edition. My musings at the time were kept to "The Cost of buying, owning, and maintaining an older vintage motorcycle". I wrote six articles for myself based on my experience and what I was seeing on the various forums. The titles are:

Part 1 - Initial Musings
Part 2 - Initial preparation
Part 3 - The Purchase
Part 4 - Work and Maintenance
Part 5 - Work and Maintenance
Part 6 - Work and Maintenance

I also included an article on my thoughts about buying a used bike.

These articles have never seen the light of day except by myself - correction - have perused my posts and find I posted some of these articles in my bike log - my bad. Will be updating and carrying on.

I have since written and posted articles, commented on various posts regarding a multitude of issues and want to bring what I have written and commented on under one roof so to speak. I've started to collate these and find that the articles are quite large, and are going to need a good review.

I have read on several forums where it has been asked about collating and bringing issues into one area of a forum. This has intrigued me because there is a lot of information available, and information that is duplicated many times.

I will be collating my thoughts and those of others that have commented/posted regarding these thoughts. I have to learn about copyright and other aspects of putting together this project - sort of reminds me of doing a thesis in college.

There are a lot of threads on the various forums that can augment/compliment what I am doing and I intend to contact the various authors to ask permission to publish in my project.

I do not expect this to be an easy task as it is mostly for myself. Can I do it, and how good can I do it.

To keep this sort of focused I will be keeping to the older vintage style bikes and keeping it as specific as possible while being generic enough it will apply to other bikes beside the GW, although a lot of what we do to and with the older bikes is relevant to newer used bikes.

This will be a long term project, and I'm looking forward to what it may become.

Cheers

I've been thinking of how to organize my thoughts and I think I will use the index from the OEM service manual as a guide. I won't be duplicating the OEM service manual information but putting forward an explanation of how things work - something like the TV show "How It's Made" on the science channel. I think this will keep me focused and guide me with respect to the information I put in my articles.

I will start by doing an introduction - some philosophizing never hurts. This project reminds me of the "Wealthy Barber" and "Zen and The ART of Motorcycle Maintenance", then updating the articles I already have done.

Cheers

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214971#p214971:2dx8eny7 said:
Tom_Charlton » Today, 6:55 am[/url]":2dx8eny7]
Some people just collect stamps, I applaud your efforts!

Retired and bugger for punishment. I'm thinking I'll learn a lot from this as well.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215003#p215003:1sgrpi45 said:
wilcoy02 » Yesterday, 8:27 pm[/url]":1sgrpi45]
I hope you have a great time doing this. Looking forward to your words of wisdom.
If I have anything you need you have my permission to use it.

Thank you.

"Another worthy project Ernest, I am sure this will be interesting."

Got to have something to do on these cold, winter nights. Up north right now at Mom's for Xmas. Damn cold here in Larder Lake. Lake is frozen over, there are snowbanks, and temp is going to be in the double digits with a minus sign in front. Time to pay the heating bill. :cool!:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.us/viewtopic.php?p=214962#p214962:1q3bezlq said:
Rednaxs60 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:29 am[/url]":1q3bezlq]
I've been thinking of how to organize my thoughts...

If you figure this one out, let me know...I could use some thought organization.... :yes: :BigGrin: :BigGrin:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215021#p215021:2ncidwq6 said:
AApple » Yesterday, 6:39 pm[/url]":2ncidwq6]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.us/viewtopic.php?p=214962#p214962:2ncidwq6 said:
Rednaxs60 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:29 am[/url]":2ncidwq6]
I've been thinking of how to organize my thoughts...

If you figure this one out, let me know...I could use some thought organization.... :yes: :BigGrin: :BigGrin:

Me too!

I am the owner of a new 2 in 1 laptop (converts to a tablet as well). It is all singing all dancing by my standards, new 10th gen Intell processor, fingerprint sign in, SSD drive, and so much more. Takes less than 30 seconds to be up and running from the time I hit the start button - really cool.

That's out of the way. Have started compiling a list of threads and articles from the various forums. Using this as a staring point. It's a Word document to start, if I have trouble posting it will convert to PDF.

Let the games begin!

View attachment NGW Threads 1.doc

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216131#p216131:2uxu8vmd said:
pidjones » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:28 pm[/url]":2uxu8vmd]
Let me suggest backup (cloud, probably). I don't trust SSDs. Too many failures.
I still have backups on floppies and Zip drives! :hihihi:

Started in the computer world with punch cards, huge change to now. First hard drive was a 40 MB at approx $400.00 CDN. My first computer an IBM PC JR that was portrayed at 128 K the most powerful computer you will ever need. This saying came up on the screen every time I started it. Printer, computer with two 5 1/4 inch floppies and a mono chrome screen $3500.00 CDN, come a long way.

That being said, looking forward to compiling an index of everything oldwing. There have been posts on other forums about the throw away style we have gotten used to. Think I'll learn a lot in the process.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216144#p216144:ucgsn3nj said:
Rednaxs60 » 10 minutes ago[/url]":ucgsn3nj]
Started in the computer world with punch cards, huge change to now. First hard drive was a 40 MB at approx $400.00 CDN. My first computer an IBM PC JR that was portrayed at 128 K the most powerful computer you will ever need. This saying came up on the screen every time I started it. Printer, computer with two 5 1/4 inch floppies and a mono chrome screen $3500.00 CDN, come a long way.

That being said, looking forward to compiling an index of everything oldwing. There have been posts on other forums about the throw away style we have gotten used to. Think I'll learn a lot in the process.
That's further back than I started. My first computer was a 286 hand me down from the school I was working for. I soon "upgraded" to a 386, a 486 was only a dream at that time. Somehow I got Internet Explorer installed on that 386. Slow as STP oil burner additive but man was that exciting back then. Dial up and actually get on 'the internet'! The hard drive was built to survive a nuclear explosion Lol. Fun memories.
Now our phones can easily out compute them, and we have a media server along with 2 desktop stations and 3 laptops.
Times have certainly changed.