Anyone regret cutting down a windshield?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saganaga

Reaction score
I'm a tall guy, but all my length is in my legs. Have a Vetter on the Goldwing, and I find that I have to have a pretty straight, stiff-as-a-board back posture to easily see over the windshield. Else the windshield comes to just about eye level.

Anyone ever cut down a windshield and regret it later? I'm thinking about taking an inch or two off of it. Nothing major. But right now, I'm almost completely inside the protective envelope of the airstream, and I'm worried about the tiring effects of wind churn on my helmet if I cut it down.

The windshield on my 83 was in pretty bad shape...a buddy gave me a better one so I cut the first one way down for summer use....the wind still doesn't really hit my body so I consider it a failed experiment. Same guy gave me a tall wraparound from a 1200. With a bit of modifying I made it fit but just like yours the top of the windshield was exactly at eye level. I trimmed a sliver off the top and now it's perfect...the wind still passes over my head and I can see over it.

I needed to replace the original on my '81, and the aftermarket was an inch or so shorter. Before the edge was right at eye level, now much better. No change in wind on the helmet.

I cut down the shield on my vetter, twice, the first 1 1/2 inches got it down to a comfy sightline. I needed more off to put some wind on my faceshield to help with neck issues. That worked, see picture, but I need to wear the faceshield above 60mph to keep the wind out of my eyes. Worked for my problem, but increased wind noise in my helmet.
I also raised the handlebars 2" for comfortable positioning.
I don't regret it, but there is wind on my head.

Attachments

• IMG_2257-2.jpg
    IMG_2257-2.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 129
I think I took about 4 to 5 inches off of this one for summer time riding, in the winter I put a full size windscreen back on. The only thing I regretted about doing it was the wind noise at highway speeds, so earplugs became the norm. Around town though it was great.

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211719#p211719:evstz8fd said:
saganaga » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:06 am[/url]":evstz8fd]
I think I'll do it then.
:good: I cut 2” off mine with no regrets.

If you cut it down and have wind buffeting, you can install an MRA extender. It is fully adjustable and works like a Laminer Lip. I have one installed on my Plexifaring III and once adjusted, no buffeting at all!

image.php

image.php

I cut it down by 1 1/4" inches. I think that'll be enough. Pictures will be posted in the Mayflower thread.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211791#p211791:3cfm65x8 said:
Royal Boogie » 41 minutes ago[/url]":3cfm65x8]
Did you all just use masking tape and a jig saw?

Painter's tape, cardboard for a template, and jigsaw.

Then a rasp, a file, and some sandpaper to finish the edge.

Got pictures in the other thread.

Be real careful with the shavings from Acrylic. The little shavings get caught in air streams, land on your eyeball, and the first blink will drive them into your cornea! I suggest goggles. Polycarb is not quite so bad, but if you scratch the coating, you can't polish it out. Acrylic polishes out real nice (but is brittle).

thats why we always use three layers of tape over our guide line. then mark guide line on tape. i dont know why is say we. i sound like some guy with a rent to own shop. LOL anyway, you are correct! cut through the tape so the fragments stick to it, not your eyes