Are the engines in the 84 and 85 interchangeable

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigid

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1986 Goldwing Interstate
I have a 1985 Aspencade, with a good engine but has been taken apart, and wires cut and possibly things missing, I found a 1984 that seems to be complete with no title and the clutch does not engage, thinking about purchasing and combining the two bikes into one.

Mostly they interchange ...84 motor has its ignition in the rear of motor like the 1100s do ..85 is in the front in the timing belt covers ..84 has same gearing as 83 1100s with the 1200 2.83 rear pumpkin this the tallest geared 1200s made ...85 are a bit lower geared ..I don't think there's a problem with rear ignition going in a 85 frame ...May be some wiring issues but I am not thinking so but not sure I'd say do it ...in my opinion

Mostly they interchange ...84 motor has its ignition in the rear of motor like the 1100s do ..85 is in the front in the timing belt covers ..84 has same gearing as 83 1100s with the 1200 2.83 rear pumpkin this the tallest geared 1200s made ...85 are a bit lower geared ..I don't think there's a problem with rear ignition going in a 85 frame ...May be some wiring issues but I am not thinking so but not sure I'd say do it ...in my opinion
Thanks, I think I will pass on it, I don't need that project, on top of all the other projects I have on my plate.

In the same boat here. I have an '85 1200 Interstate body and I'm putting an '84 1200 Interstate engine in it. Pulse gen sensors are in the timing belt cover on the 85 but in the rear of the engine on the 84. What' the process for relocating them to put the 84 in the 85? Do I just splice a piece of wire to make it reach the rear?

Will the carbs from a 85-87 fit and operate properly on a 84 1200.