Baby, it's COOOLD outside(starter issue)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Well crap. I been down sick since Friday, but I had to get out today and try to fire up the '81, since it's sitting on the deck....an it's ONLY 17 degrees here....BBBBBRRRRRR!
Sick or not, I bundled up, and went out into the cold, cruel winter. Uncovered it, hit the button, and...."whiiiiiirl......whiiiiirl....whirrrrrrl...". Dammit. Cold oil keeping the starter clutch from engaging. I've heard of this issue from youse guys up nawth, but have never experienced it meself, until today. Dang...now whut? I dug out a halogen work light I had in one of the storage buildings, and stuck it up under the engine, and turnt it on. Tried to crank it again aboot an hour later, and it did eventually spin over. :yahoo: Took it a few looong minutes to start hittin on all four, but it did eventually start runnnin smooth. I let it run for about 30 minutes or so, and checked the temp. It was just a shade past halfway on the gauge, so I flipped the fan motor on and let it run a few more minutes before turning the fuel off, and shuttin it down. I took the battery off and put it in the garage so it wouldn't get damaged. Put the cover back on the bike, but left the light burnin under it. Hopefully that will keep it a little warmer than nothing at all. There is a roof over the deck, so it's not totally out in the elements. Guess I'll hafta wait until warmer weather to start tearing it apart to fix the coolant leakage issue.... :builder:
But, for now, it's back under the covers to warm up a bit, and try to get well enough to do the "werk" thing tomorry.... :doh:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185047#p185047:2zk1xozk said:
detdrbuzzard » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:46 am[/url]":2zk1xozk]
get well soon joel, it's 6º right now. 17º would seem like a heat wave :)

Ya...but youse guys is used to this kinda weather....us Southern folks ain't!
2833.gif

frozen-in-ice-smiley-emoticon.gif

IMHO Better off leave it set , my rule has always been if its too cold to ride its too cold to run em. Does em more harm than good unless its a heated space even at that its better they run under load. I used to run and Maintain several large emergency generators. They all had built in heaters and load banks .

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185089#p185089:1ovwicst said:
Omega Man » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:38 am[/url]":1ovwicst]
29F as I'm about to ride to work... ME NO WANT!

~O~

:shock: :shock: Damn O-man!! How far is your ride?

I used to ride in the cold and had a perpetual cold. But I got old and put those things away, along with many others. 29, good lord.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185099#p185099:52elkx8v said:
backlander » Yesterday, 11:51 am[/url]":52elkx8v]
Anything less than 50 degrees and I require a heated cab. :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:
+1 on that mostly. Depends on how badly I want to ride. Recently, I'll take the car; been a while, I'll lower my standards to 45. My personal record, in my mid-20's, was 9* with no windscreen. 25 minute ride to work with full leathers, a full-face helmet with neck cover that velcroed around the base of the helmet and tucked in the jacket. I wouldn't do it again, but it wasn't miserable.