back brakes gl1100 piston

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88983#p88983:247ij5pd said:
src68 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:06 pm[/url]":247ij5pd] if the only option is rebuild caliper... its going into the nearest river/lake here in MN.... :sensored: :sensored: :sensored: :sensored: :evil: :evil: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Well then maybe you should just do that.......or calm down and learn how to work on your bike.

There are always used calipers on ebay. '82 and '83 Interstates will be the same.

Question: Were the rear brakes working before you took them apart? If so, your caliper won't be difficult to rebuild. A little patience and some dirty hands should be the main things you need. No special tools required, and all the boots and seals are available. Plus - you have this forum to get you through it. We got your back!!!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88995#p88995:p9mop9vo said:
Steve83 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:50 pm[/url]":p9mop9vo]There are always used calipers on ebay. '82 and '83 Interstates will be the same.

Question: Were the rear brakes working before you took them apart? If so, your caliper won't be difficult to rebuild. A little patience and some dirty hands should be the main things you need. No special tools required, and all the boots and seals are available. Plus - you have this forum to get you through it. We got your back!!!

Thanks Steve,.... after talking to my cousin, he told me to 'tap' the outside, and the inside of the pistons... so i did that, then i tried the c clamp again on both... and low and behold it worked... but i had to do tehm seperatly. Did i damage anything doing that? and how will i know if, since i got them in, they will work properly and come back out like they are suppose to...

sorry for my rant before.. but it seems everything i try to do... something happens and i either make it worse, or it doens't work... weather it be cycles, kid bicycles, or house repairs... but thank you for your kind words. and i do appreciate all the help here and going to open a paypal account to donate to help keep site up....

is this clean enough? does it really matter? some people said, i have to make sure i really clean all the grim off etc.. i probably am thinking to much on this.. but want to make sure i do it correctily and it works and doesn't stick or something...

Attachments

• IMG352.jpg
    IMG352.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG351.jpg
    IMG351.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 88
That's plenty clean. The really important clean part is inside the cylinders and the pistons if they are removed. You are good to go, just make sure it's well bled after everything's back together.

Hello all. i put the new brakes on and everything back together. I road it for about 5 min... and when i hit the brakes nothing happens.. but then when i pump it 2-4 times... then it starts to stop. i am a little nervous to ride it. it did it everytime i was going 5 -30 mph. did i mess something up?
also, it still is squeaking when i use the brakes. is that cuz they have to 'break in'?

THANKS TO ALL FOR ALL YOUR HELP, ASSISTANCE, AND ENCOURAGEMENT. I SOOO much appreciate it. :thanks: :salute:

i did need to change them here is one of the 2 old brake pads...

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 76
My brakes always squealed for a bit after putting on new pads, and sometimes it seemed like they never stopped squealing. It always seemed to be the front brakes that squealed more often. Also after a few pumps my brakes would tighten up.

~O~

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89108#p89108:gxa2b65e said:
src68 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:58 pm[/url]":gxa2b65e]so i should ride it more? it will eventually stop after hitting the peddle the first time?
Try some slow riding in a safe area(no traffic), just take it very easy. :good: pump both brakes but take it slow and easy.

~O~

DO NOT RIDE YOUR BIKE UNTIL YOU HAVE GOOD HARD BRAKES! They will not improve by riding.
It does sound like they need bled to remove all the air. Did you get the bleeder valve fixed?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89105#p89105:1ihiby0k said:
src68 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:47 pm[/url]":1ihiby0k]and when i hit the brakes nothing happens.. but then when i pump it 2-4 times... then it starts to stop.

The brakes on Old Girlfriend were always a little soft at first after r/r the pads even after bleeding them. I'm just referring to MY personal experience.

~O~

Sounds like they need to be bled. On an '83 you need to bleed the right front caliper first, then the rear. It can take some time - and brake fluid - to get all the air out. You should have a solid pedal after bleeding.

The pads might make some noise until they're seated, depending on the type of pads and the condition of the rotor.

Ummm ok now i am a little nervous. I have road the bike last night for about 40 min.. .then today for over 1 hr. BEFORE i read the last few replies. The brakes seem to be working very good. everytime i hit the peddle it brakes.. and the hand brake too. however, I didn't bleed them. and no, my bleeder valve (threads) is completely stripped (rounded all the way around)

i have great brakes.. but are you saying i could one time not have brakes?! :shock: that would not be good. i did have the master cylinder loose while i tried to push the pistons back in at first. but reemeber that didn't work. AFter i took the brake line off the caliper and tap the pistons, i was able to c clamp them back in...

bottom line.... do i still need to bleed them if they are working? if so... how? if the bleeder valve is stripped.

thanks for all the help. sorry this thread went to 3 pages...