Back Yard Mechanic Help

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winger 82

Reaction score
Looking for a little help here if I might,

Working on my 2005 Silverado 4X4 pick up and have developed a slow speed ABS pulse, I have change out both front wheel speed sensors, cleaned the mounting surfaces where they mount to and still have the pulsing at slow speeds . the rear brakes are drums and have no sensors on them, now I did notice while looking into the hole where they mount that the sensor wheel (I know it has a special name but can't think of it right now) was covered with grease, how much of a current is being transmitted here and will it pass thru this grease ?? I did take a hand full of q-tips and about a half hr to clean this sensor ring off and it seemed to help my low speed ABS pulse but didn't last very long , I'm sure if I take this back apart it's covered in grease again, was just going to change out this hub bearing to see if that fix's the problem
Thanks in advance
Winger 82

The reluctor ring is either going to be on the axle shaft joint itself, or it is part of the wheel hub bearing. Many low speed abs activations on GM vehicles have been caused by the bearing type reluctor failing. Here is also a TSB on cleaning the mounting surface where the speed sensor attaches. Chances are you will fix yours by replacing the hub/bearing assembly IF yours does not have the reluctor wheel made onto the drive axle joint.
05ABSlowspeed.jpg

Last edited:
The reluctor ring is either going to be on the axle shaft joint itself, or it is part of the wheel hub bearing. Many low speed abs activations on GM vehicles have been caused by the bearing type reluctor failing. Here is also a TSB on cleaning the mounting surface where the speed sensor attaches. Chances are you will fix yours by replacing the hub/bearing assembly IF yours does not have the reluctor wheel made onto the drive axle joint. View attachment 48426
yes the reluctor ring is part of the hub bearing and I did clean the mounting surface with sandpaper then run a flat file over it to make sure it was flat, bearing is tight meaning no wheel play up or down or left to right, the grease on this reluctor wheel has me wondering if the seal has went bad in this hub bearing and its only a matter of time before she lets loose.

Thanks AApple & Dusterdude for the replies, had another fella tell me he had a brake calliper that was causing this on his truck, think I'll try the hub bearing last time I changed this one out it took me 2 days to get it to break loose, this ones only been in there 2-3 yrs so hopefully it will pop right out like the video's on You Tube
thanks again Winger 82