Bad Goldwing Dad

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centurion94

Reaction score
Good afternoon. I'm new here.

My 82 GL1100 and I just had another disagreement - she's out in the garage, smelling like gas. I'm in the house, smelling like gas. Oh, I freely admit that I caused this situation. My name is Don and I am a Goldwing abuser (do we get cookies after we confess, like in group therapy?).

Eight years ago :crying: I parked the Wing because of A) a leaking rear air suspension, persistent even after I rebuilt the shocks, combined with a wife/co-rider/navigator/tail gunner with a bulged disc in her back rendering her non-enthusiastic about bumps in the road, and B) what I suspected to be bad air cut-off valves. Some of you may know how easy it is to put off the horrifically mind-numbing ordeal of dismounting and re-mounting GL1100 carbs. This I did, for 8 years.

Bringing all this to the point, I have recently installed good quality non-air assist shocks, installed new air cut-off valves and reinstalled the carbs. Then I watched gas squirting into the plenum from the #2 carb, discovering that the new air cut-offs worked perfectly - started immediately with no choke and ran great - with the gas off. You know the rest.

So, now it's time to pull the carbs off, again, and I'll call any man a liar that says it gets easier the more you do it. In order for that to be true, you'd have to know exactly what you just did to either pop them out or back in. Okay, ordered new carb kits with new needle valves and seats, replaced as many o-rings as I could get to without separating carbs, set the float levels at 15.5mm the best I could without ever finding a useable photo to work from, and spent another 45 minutes or so re-mounting the carbs. And no, I do not know what I did to make them pop back in.

As soon as I got everything buttoned up, I turned the gas on and hit the starter, gazing down into the plenum. Nothing. Choke on, choke off, made no difference. The starter just spun. So I sat down and stared at the bike, mentally reviewing everything I had done up to that point. Hey, the last time, it just started right up. So I sat there for a while longer, and then got up and reconnected the spark plugs. :doh:

Started right up! I noticed right away that the accelerator pump was functioning properly, since there was gas pouring out of the #2 and 4 carb bowl seals and the #4 drain screw (which was tight).

This happened once before about 10 years ago - I'd gone in and replaced some o-rings and cleaned the jets and it leaked like a sieve. I was planning a road trip to Iowa City the next day and I was so disgusted, I pulled the key, left it in the driveway and went to get Long John Silver's fish and beer with which to comfort myself (wife was already in Iowa City). Next morning, just for giggles, I started it again and it ran like a champ - totally dry! Remembering this, I went back out a little while ago and started it again. #4 bowl leak has slowed WAY down, now most of the leak seemed to be coming from the north end of the crossover between #2 and #4.

Someone please tell me that these o-rings will also dry up again! I don't think we have enough cheese in the house to go with the whining I'll be doing if I have to pull the carbs again. Let me repeat - I don't have a clue how I got them out the last time, or back in today!

Is this post in the right place?

don

P.S. Maybe later we can continue with the group therapy thing and I'll tell a tear-jerker of a story about what happens to your front brakes when they sit there for about, oh, eight years...

Hey Don, welcome aboard from Southern California! Oh, the carb woes that most of us have endured... I'm about to attempt to put fuel injection on my '83 - should be fun! Good luck with your rack!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99985#p99985:2xcmdi99 said:
centurion94 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:11 pm[/url]":2xcmdi99]
Someone please tell me that these o-rings will also dry up again! I don't think we have enough cheese in the house to go with the whining I'll be doing if I have to pull the carbs again. Let me repeat - I don't have a clue how I got them out the last time, or back in today!
time to seriously consider SCC aka single carb conversion

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99987#p99987:3de8sihx said:
Steve83 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:31 pm[/url]":3de8sihx]
Hey Don, welcome aboard from Southern California! Oh, the carb woes that most of us have endured... I'm about to attempt to put fuel injection on my '83 - should be fun!
:shock: :popcorn: :salute:

dry and rotten orings......maybe bowls are not clean where the seals go, i hate to say this, but i've always had good luck with the ones i've redone....but it's cleaning, take them all the way apart, more cleaning, replace all the orings, accel fuel pump, jets, air cut off valves, ect...they should do well after that... tighten the bowls lightly at first, then with an (X ) pattern to finish it...then sync them after you get her running again... :moped:

Welcome aboard and I'm glad you have a sense of humor, we don't need someone else shooting up the neighborhood trying to kill and inanimate object. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Welcome, I had to do mine 2X but on the second pull I replaced every oring possible including splitting the plenum. Your right..It is so much of a pain to R&R them that I made sure I wasnt doing it 3X.
The crossover tube orings, D Orings,drain screw Orings can be found at this place , sounds like you allready have new bowl seals,float needles. Be sure and set your floats right and fill the carbs with fuel before you re install them to check for leaks.
https://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/

Normally, I'd start this post with, "Y'all never gonna believe this..." but somehow I think y'all will.

After that post, I went back outside and started her up again. Or did I pray about it first? Me and Jesus have been having a conversation over this bike the last few days. Anyway, carb #1 had been mostly dry from the beginning, #3 was leaking a little. Now they were both dry and #2 was drying up. #4 was down to fast drips but the crossover tube was still leaking. After another break, the left-hand carbs settled down and a short time later it died - had to switch to reserve. All of a sudden I got coolant running down the radiator and pooling on the floor. After a while, it quits so I figure the anti freeze closed it up. Next surprise - the oldest coolant tube in Creation was found skulking like a prehistoric snake on top of the engine case. The leak shut off because it got so low it couldn't squirt through the overflow fitting under the radiator cap.

Back to Bomgaar's to get another hose and clamps. Got it installed, started the bike to warm up the engine and run the air out of the radiator. No more coolant. No more crossover pipe leak. Right-side carbs still dry. Gas running out of the left-hand carbs, mostly #4.

As an aside, once I got it running, I has white smoke coming from the pipes. The warmer it got, the worse the smoke got, then I got milky-looking fluid dripping from the exhaust crossover. Now, there's no smoke, the fluid from the exhaust is gone. I kept an eye on it after I shut it down and moved it out of Mama's parking space (why do women always seem to equate a perfectly good shop with someplace to park their car?). The level on the coolant overflow reservoir is dropping as the engine cools off, so that system is operating properly now.

Those carbs are clean. New needle valves and seats, which solved the flooding problem. All four floats are within a gnat's heinie of 15.5mm. I'm praying that the rest of the leaks will dry up as the seals get a taste of gas, just like before that road trip, and the right-hand carbs, and the crossover tube. Man, when I started it the last time and revved it to 4-5000 a couple of times, it was instantly responsive. I think we're getting there. One other thing I forgot was that the last time I took a road trip on this I was only getting a little over 20 mpg. Judging from how easily she starts now, I'm hoping the new air cut-offs will have the mileage back up where it should me. Man, those were some grimy, slimey pieces of flakey garbage I pulled out of the cut-off compartments.

Thanks for reading. When should this go into a new thread?

don

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100004#p100004:1ccxyrwd said:
centurion94 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:18 pm[/url]":1ccxyrwd]
Normally, I'd start this post with, "Y'all never gonna believe this..." but somehow I think y'all will.
naah, bought my first beaut of a mercedes that was running great and started fixin little things over the next mth...

on the last trip, while cruising in bliss, i had ~ a wk on a new custom oil line...

that let loose, now i had an engine with a bad knock :nea: :sensored: :head bang: :builder: :builder: :builder: :builder:

Welcome to the forums centurion! Great posts, but yes at his point lets move the conversation to another section(just the carb stuff, many more are going to want to welcome you in this thread).

Thanks!

~O~

Welcome to group therapy 101.... yes right place and the cookies don't seem to up load well through the keyboard... lol.. yeah remembering how it was easy the first time.. seems to be the first thing that gets forgotten when you have to go right back in... notes, videos and photos are great step reminders if you remember to take them... damhik.... I have not done carbs yet.. but know about brakes that sat...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100053#p100053:3ae8838j said:
centurion94 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:45 am[/url]":3ae8838j]
Omega Man (what a movie!!!), where should I move this thread?
dude has all the right words ..hard to beat 'crystal blue persuasion'.. :Egyptian:

Latest posts